Tuning the uke and safe cracking.

spukey

Reaction score
I must be missing something, but why is it that when tuning, there is a micro measure between: flat <good> sharp? I liken it to trying to crack a safe; my shower at home is the same: glacier, <nice>, surface of the sun?
I guess it has something to do with the size of the barrel? if it were thicker in diameter it might be easier? Does anyone else encounter this?

Are you using friction tuners? With geared tuners I've never had a problem with getting it perfect, but with friction, it takes a bit of practice.

I'm a big fan of Eddie, have been since the early 90s and seen him live twice. His safe-cracking comments are definitely the source behind my post.

Instead of trying to tune small down tune a bit and bring it up to pitch. Always down tune and bring up to pitch it doesnt work quite well the other way around.

Bigger motions are more accurate in this situation.

I see where you are coming from with this OP, especially using friction tuners lol

I must be missing something, but why is it that when tuning, there is a micro measure between: flat <good> sharp? I liken it to trying to crack a safe; my shower at home is the same: glacier, <nice>, surface of the sun?
I guess it has something to do with the size of the barrel? if it were thicker in diameter it might be easier? Does anyone else encounter this?

Friction tuners are a 1:1 turn ratio. Not so good on short scale instrument like a uke.
This is why modern violins have separate fine tuners at the bridge end of the string.

Top Bottom