Mix and Matching Strings

Kyle23

Reaction score
How many of you do this? I remember hearing Aaron of HMS saying something like he is very picky with strings and had different brands on one uke. I think I'm remembering that correctly. Anyways, I had a problem with my E string on my KoAloha, it was splitting and peeling badly. Literally half of the width of the string was gone and it left sharp notches where I tried to trim the excess of the string off. It was just a mess. Anyways, to save myself some money for the time being, I took a Martin E string off of my Luna that I never play and put it on my KoAloha. Sounds fantastic. I was thinking that mixing the string brands wouldn't really go well, especially when I usually see people mixing C strings. Does anyone else do this or have had to do this?

My lo G string is a wound string, the other strings are Worth Browns. I like this arrangement, but only on one uke.

Florocarbon strings are all fairly similar so swapping out one brand of E string for another doesn't hurt anything.

I actually go one or two steps farther, like Aaron, I will use multiple brands on the same uke. My go to low G set is

G- Freemont soloist
C- South Coast wound ( from HML-RW set)
E - Oasis warm
A - either Oasis warm or South Coast ( HML - RW set)

Lots of people will use florocarbon fishing line of the appropriate diameter

Top Bottom