Video of my Wise Solo Tenor tuned D#, G#.C, F

anthonyg

Reaction score
Hi all, Its been quite a while since I put a new video up. 7 hours solid work later I finally have a new video up.

Its my Scott Wise Solo Tenor tuned D#,G#, C, F. I asked Scott to build this ukulele for me to be tuned E, A, C#, F#. It sounded nice like that but I decided to detune it another semi-tone and it came alive.

For the record its fitted with Aquila Nylgut low G tenor strings.

I'm covering my favourite artist, Chris Smither. Yes, he's a guitarist. My Wise ukulele is sounding very guitar like.

Anthony

Last edited:
Sounds good. Interesting style you have there!

I have my baritone tuned like that, tuned up from a DGBE string set. Interesting that you got to the same place tuning down on tenor.

Thanks Jim.

For better or worse, :eek: I play guitar style.

That and fret over the neck, but that's a little guitar style too.

Anthony

This is the first video of yours I have seen.
Your voice is very soothing and that Wise uke sounds wonderful.
I like a tenor uke with guitar-like qualities.

One question: Are you a fan of Preston Reed...or is that just how they play guitar down-under?
Just kidding.

Also, your recording was top-notch too, it sounds like a professional quality track.

Thanks. Yes I can't really claim originality for my picking style. I'm alternate bass picking which is a little bit Travis picking without the right hand damping and also I've heard it called Piedmont Blues style too.

I m a fan of Mississippi John Hurt and also Chris Smither who I am covering here is a fan of MJH. I'll have to check out Preston Reed.

I used a bit of gear and software in the recording. I was using a MacBook Pro for the recording and the camera was the inbuilt camera however the audio was going through an outboard mixer (a Behringer xenyx1622FX). I was also using a couple of Audix microphones. A VX-5 condensor for the ukulele and an OM-3 for voice. After getting the basic sounds and balance I wanted through the mixer I edited the sound a little latter in Garageband. Between getting the sound right and playing it right and then post video and sound editing I was at it for 7-8 hours to get the one track posted.

Hopefully they will be a little quicker in future.

Anthony

Last edited:
Top Bottom