I have really tried hard to like high G....

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had two tenors that were superb in high G, a Mya Moe and a Collings. I had a Loprinzi super soprano that a number of friends coveted because of the amazing tone. These have been sold. I have a Koaloha Opio concert that is a canon and a great little Islander AS 4 long neck soprano strung high G. They both are quality sounding instruments, but............

The nail in the reentrant coffin was my Ono 16" concert. Simon talked me into restringing it high G. That instrument, which I absolutely love, sat in its case for almost a week. I use to play it dayly strung low G and everybody that played it was blow away by the big sound from such a small package. I switched it back to low G yesterday and now can't keep hands off of it.

Sound preference is very personal and I know it can be fickle but I sold three world class instrument because of it. I started out high G and loved it, wanted no part of low G strung ukes. I am fully aware I might go on a high G kick in 6 months time but until then everything gets a wound G and C string. Some like vanilla some like chocolate but in the end it is all ice cream.and it is all good

Well, like you say, you've tried. No one can accuse you of not giving it a fair shot :) Personally, I'm not a big fan either.

Mmmm, chocolate... ;)

Sounds like someone is looking to start a little dustup this morning.:)

Sounds like someone is looking to start a little dustup this morning.:)

On the contrary.............maybe it is really a cry for help.......or I am bored........or I want some ice cream :drool:

When I hear someone play beautiful classical music pieces on high G I love the sound. Just not when I am holding the instrument

Last edited:
I have it both ways, I love high and low G. But there certainly are those who are monogamous, unlike me.

I had two tenors that were superb in high G, a Mya Moe and a Collings. I had a Loprinzi super soprano that a number of friends coveted because of the amazing tone. These have been sold. I have a Koaloha Opio concert that is a canon and a great little Islander AS 4 long neck soprano strung high G. They both are quality sounding instruments, but............

The nail in the reentrant coffin was my Ono 16" concert. Simon talked me into restringing it high G. That instrument, which I absolutely love, sat in its case for almost a week. I use to play it dayly strung low G and everybody that played it was blow away by the big sound from such a small package. I switched it back to low G yesterday and now can't keep hands off of it.

Sound preference is very personal and I know it can be fickle but I sold three world class instrument because of it. I started out high G and loved it, wanted no part of low G strung ukes. I am fully aware I might go on a high G kick in 6 months time but until then everything gets a wound G and C string. Some like vanilla some like chocolate but in the end it is all ice cream.and it is all good

Aren't you the mad string changer? Don't be blaming me on the High G on your Ono. Lol.

I also influenced you to buy a Pono Pro Classic Ebony Maccassar. Oh. And a LFDM. So I guess I am not too much of a bad influence. Lol

Ice Cream causes bloating, gas and localized air pollution. :(

Aren't you the mad string changer? Don't be blaming me on the High G on your Ono. Lol.

I also influenced you to buy a Pono Pro Classic Ebony Maccassar. Oh. And a LFDM. So I guess I am not too much of a bad influence. Lol

Ice Cream causes bloating, gas and localized air pollution. :(

Touche' :cool:

On the contrary.............maybe it is really a cry for help.......or I am bored........or I want some ice cream :drool:

When I hear someone play beautiful classical music pieces on high G I love the sound. Just not when I am holding the instrument
My momma told me to stay away from those low G kids, they are always looking for trouble. Us high g folks tend to be lovers, not fighters. ;)

Danger?

We aren't talking about spouses here. Lol

I have both. And enjoy both.

Perhaps I am a little more cosmopolitan.

Cosmopolitan is ice cream right..........no wait that's Neopolitan..........guess I am not very Cosmopoliton after all :p

Last edited:
Maybe it's the songs you're playing. To my ear, many arrangements have a tuning preference (low or high g). If I'm looking for a guitarish sound reentrant won't work for me. But there are many songs that I only play on reentrant (Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard, for example).

I keep some instruments strictly high g. If I get an instrument I really like in high g, I try to leave there. Seems more tenors sound better than linear than reentrant. Some sound great either way.

I have a couple tenors ( Collings Maple/spruce, Pegasus koa, LFdM cedar/RW, Kawika koa, Koll archtop, Ono) that really sound great in reentrant. I resist the urge to even try them in linear. I've more ukes in linear tuning than reentrant. I just switched my Koa Works to low g( Oasis warms, smooth) from reentrant Aquila. Not sure if I like it better reentrant or linear, as it will take a few days for the strings to settle.

Maybe it's the songs you're playing. To my ear, many arrangements have a tuning preference (low or high g). If I'm looking for a guitarish sound reentrant won't work for me. But there are many songs that I only play on reentrant (Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard, for example).

I keep some instruments strictly high g. If I get an instrument I really like in high g, I try to leave there. Seems more tenors sound better than linear than reentrant. Some sound great either way.

I have a couple tenors ( Collings Maple/spruce, Pegasus koa, LFdM cedar/RW, Kawika koa, Koll archtop, Ono) that really sound great in reentrant. I resist the urge to even try them in linear. I've more ukes in linear tuning than reentrant. I just switched my Koa Works to low g( Oasis warms, smooth) from reentrant Aquila. Not sure if I like it better reentrant or linear, as it will take a few days for the strings to settle.

I have to agree with Hodge here. Some songs sound better on my bari. Some on my tenor low g.
I am hoping the KoAloha (arriving tomorrow, hooray!) will fill the high g void in my life. =)

Well, Bro, I'm mostly goin' the opposite way. When, I change strings, pretty much all of 'em will be high G. My eighter will have a low G of course, and my baritone is DGBD. My banjos are tuned to low pitches, but they have big pots.

I don't like the boominess of low tunings, and I don't fingerpick my smaller Ukes. I don't like the fat, Aquila low red strings either.

I don't just yank 'em off now because I'm too cheap to remove a perfectly good (though boomy) string. :eek:ld:

Love to hear your version of this one, Hodge. I play it in low-G.

Dave,

I fully understand why Simon suggested the high g on the Ono. It felt like it was screaming for one! I bet it sounds great.

i think you you might be a closeted guitar player :)

I live for high G. For me, that is what is special about a ukulele.

Otherwise I feel like I am playing a four string guitar that is capo'd at the fifth fret.

:2cents:

Last edited:
Steve, this is the reentrant tuning arrangement I use.

Yep, that's the basis for the way I play it, too, although I fiddled with it some. When I get a few minutes, I'll do a video and stick it up. Great song, great movie ...

Top Bottom