string bending on ukes

lacerveza

Reaction score
i'm traditionally a guitarist i play a lot of blues,been playing uke about three weeks now and i've realised something, i've got geared tuners on mine and my brothers got friction tuners on his, i thought that having a fender uke with geared tuners would be safe for a bit of blues bending, i am wrong.
i'm pretty sure my machine heads are good(well positive) but they still go out when i have a little bb king moment.my bros go out as soon as you look at them(gotoh) is this me being heavy handed or just the way of the uke?

i like that THE WAY OF THE UKE in cinemas near no one

I hardly ever have to tune my Kanile'a, but I don't do much agressive bending. I think your problem might be string related though. Uke strings seem to take about a month to settle in. When you start with a fresh set, expect them to go out of tune about 30 seconds after you tuned wheather of not you actualy play the uke. So give it another week or two before you give up on the bends.

no yeah when i got my uke it had ghs strings but i changed them a couple of days later with aquilas and they took me a couple of days of solid playing till i was comfortable with them staying in tune for a period.but as i say guitars i can restring and play them in in no time,but you say they(they meaning uke strings) take a long time to play in, i've also heard they have a longer life, i've heard claims of two year lifespan,is this true?

Last edited:
i suppose that guitar steel or copper strings are wound, my c string was wound on my uke but i like the nylon or nylgut or whatever its called,i think thats right
EDIT sorry this was an after thought of my last post

Top Bottom