Buying a tenor uke with a budget

3billy3

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum, new to ukes and my first post so go gentle with me!
I'm a guitar player and I'm about to buy my first uke, I am going for a tenor and was looking for some pointers in the right direction!

So far I've been looking at.............

Makala MK-T £49
Mahalo 2017 series £63
Redwood T29C £59

Or if anyone has any other suggestions?................

Any opinions on any of these, I've read lots of good reviews about the Makala and I am tempted but thought I would ask among more experienced people first!

Any help would be much appreciated

The Makala has a good reputation and gets good reviews because it is made by the Kala company. The Kala company is the biggest and best established company for entry level ukes, they make higher end models as well. They have a good standard of quality control even in their inexpensive line. I am assuming you live in the UK and would suggest you buy from a reputable dealer like Southern Ukulele Store or Omega Music. They will make sure it is in proper playing order before sending it out.

Best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Ukulele.

Definitely agree with Dave.

Also if you're looking for other recommendations, it would help to know your budget. If you told us that, people on this forum are very helpful and will probably give you 100 of the best ukuleles in your price range.

Definitely agree with Dave.

Also if you're looking for other recommendations, it would help to know your budget. If you told us that, people on this forum are very helpful and will probably give you 100 of the best ukuleles in your price range.

My budget is UK £60 - £70

If you can spend a little more, the all Mango Makai tenor is nice.

Just to echo what Dave said: Especially with inexpensive instruments it is important where you buy them, perhaps more so than what you buy. The Southern Ukulele Store is one of the best options in Europe. The Kala that Kyle linked is probably the best you'll get in this price range.

Just to echo what Dave said: Especially with inexpensive instruments it is important where you buy them, perhaps more so than what you buy. The Southern Ukulele Store is one of the best options in Europe. The Kala that Kyle linked is probably the best you'll get in this price range.

Now that we know your budget I agree with Mivo, Phil, uke 1950 and Kyle who suggested the Kala KA-T. Being a guitar player you can appreciate spending a little more but getting a lot more in return. Good sound and playability = happy ukester :D

Where in the UK are you? If we knew that we could
maybe point to certain shops or dealers that are local
to you?

Top Bottom