Baritone finger style or chord solo

Piecomics

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good sources for baritone arrangements? Any style of music, just want to get to know the instrument better.

baritone chord solo

It depends what you want. Is your baritone high d or low d?

If your baritone is high d then any high g book will work.

If your baritone is low d then any low g book will work.

The names of the chords will technically be different but it will sound as it should, but be in a lower key, five steps lower.

yes, there are baritone chord solo books but there are a lot more for low g and high d. Knowing the key really only matters if you're playing with someone else.

I read music and sometimes I play it on my baritone and sometimes on my concert. It sounds right just higher or lower.

I have a low d baritone and a high d baritone.

I have a low g tenor and a high g tenor.

I use chord solo books all the time.

Tony Mizen has great lute music for uke and that ends up being chord solo/finger picking.
The Lyle Ritz books are great.

The Mark Kailana Nelson books are great.

Every thing that is good for a regular uke is good for a baritone. The notes stay in proportion to each other, just stepped down.

Another thing is that usually a chord solo book will sound okay with either a high or low 4th string but you have to try it out to see if it sounds good to you. Yes, there is a difference but usually it will work even if it's written for the other tuning. An open 4th string is third fret on the second string. You can work off that if you know your notes.

And just in case anyone wants to claim that I'm confusing them or it's too hard to understand, here's how the Ukulele Site puts it:

The baritone ukulele is tuned like the high four strings of a guitar, D-G-B-E. The shapes are all the same as a regular ukulele, but it is a fourth lower in scale so the chords and scales transpose a fourth lower. The G-shape on a tenor/concert/soprano is a D on the baritone. But the shapes and ideas any uke player already knows will carry over. For a guitar player it is a mini guitar minus the two lowest strings. The relaxed tension lends itself to a relaxed feel and tone. Very sweet sounds come from this K1-B and no doubt its lucky owner will have years of fun with it.

(A fourth lower is five steps)

Last edited:
Top Bottom