Head droop and capo

whistleman123

Reaction score
I'd like to get a capo. I'm already experiencing head droop when using a strap and don't want to make it too much worse.

What's the lightest/most secure capo that folks are using?

Thanks

Do you mean where the headstock drops from weight?

If so, have you considered attaching the strap to the headstock instead of where the neck meets the body?

Planet Waves NS capo is the best I've found. Light and unobtrusive and doesn't interfere with your fretting hand.

A Mobius Strap ends the "head droop" problem. It actually uses the weight of the neck to hold the ukulele in playing position!

I like the Shubb Lite.
Attaching a strap at the headstock will prevent head drop as well. Uke Leash has worked well for me ;) . I like to attach between the tuners, rather than at the nut. I have button and no button options.
–Lori

...have you considered attaching the strap to the headstock instead of where the neck meets the body?

^^^ This is likely your simplest solution

I'm not sure I understand the relationship between (i) head droop from using a strap and (ii) using a capo.

To answer your question, I use the Kyser Quick Change capo mentioned in an earlier post. It's effective and easy to place on and remove from an ukulele.

bill-russell-elastic-banjo-capo.jpg

The old Russell elastic capos are light as a feather and easy to shift. I really don't like the looks of capos and tuners and other junk on a headstock, so I steer clear of Keysers in case I'd feel tempted to clip them on the headstock when I'm not using them.

Junky headstock.jpg

Attachments

• Russell capo.jpg
    Russell capo.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
View attachment 90647

The old Russell elastic capos are light as a feather and easy to shift.

I saw these on Amazon for $1.99 or $2.99 under the 'Jim Dunlop' brand as an 'Add-On' item.

I used this kind of capo for YEARS, and they never failed.

I still have and use one that I got for my old guitar back in 1985, and waddya know it works FINE on the uke...from soprano to baritone...just works.

Only issue is to put them on or off requires two hands which is a PITA if your instrument is already strapped to you, otherwise very easy to use and cheap enough to replace or keep a few handy.

Top Bottom