NUD: Kamaka Love - HF 3L 100th Anniversary Edition

sam13

Reaction score
Hey All,

A few days ago, I received an early birthday present:

HF 3L 100th anniversary Kamaka Ukulele from Andrew Kitakis at HMS.

Wow.

I am really impressed.

Thank you Andrew for picking out a fabulous Uke for me. I have always felt secure in buying something from him sight unseen as I know he REALLY cares about taking care of people, as MANY of you know. Mahalo, buddy! This is a fabulous Uke.

Until recently, I was a Pono Pro Classic Fan Boy! I still am a true fan of Pono products: amazing quality for the price.

BUT THEN … the shoe fell off … ;)

About two months ago I bought a HF 2L from Rappsy and it BLEW ME AWAY … that is another post coming … It is now my go to Re Entrant Uke … and in my arms it feels like a Soprano should … lol. :D

Last year, I had an inkling and pre ordered a HF 3L (cause Dave was talking about how it could be the perfect size … and he is right … About so many things … you all should listen to him … well, not about re entrant tuning but I digress!).

• The tone: Tremendous.
  • The build: Flawless.
  • The craftsmanship: Amazing.

It is a Classic: Subtle. And Beautiful.

IMHO, I think Kamaka Koa tone is sophisticated, full and centred offering:

• warmth and brightness
  • mouth watering sustain and harmonic colour.

Whether it is picked finger style, thumb strummed or index strummed it offers a lot of range.

My only initial concern was funny enough … the scale length.

Initially I didn’t know how I felt about it because it does feel more like a Baritone than a Tenor. But as I played it … it became a natural size for me and a regular Tenor neck seems small …

With the additional tension and length it really offers more sustain and low fullness … especially with Low G tuning.

Corey did a fabulous job of the Uke in High G.

https://vimeo.com/160992586

Andrew re strung it for me with Oasis Bright Low G (polished brass).

I will post some pictures and my own sound sample shortly but wanted to post this up.

Cheers all.

When Simon told me he was stealing "my idea" about getting a 100th anniversary Kamaka long neck tenor I had mixed emotions. One I was miffed he was stealing my idea, two I was happy because I could play it without paying for it :p

It is a fabulous instrument in everyway and he is justified to be so excited about it. The thing is a tone monster strung low G and it is very well balanced with ease of playability even for a 19" scale length tenor.

Congratulations buddy it is a very speical ukulele from a special company on their 100th anniversary

And a Happy Birthday......today is his big day

Last edited:
Stunning- so happy for you and a great way to celebrate your birthday. I so enjoy the banter between you and Dave - I've learned so much about what I like based on both your comments. And you both buy so many ukes I can soothe my UAS vicariously LOL....not to mention the fabulous opportunities to buy the cast offs ;)

Oh.........I forgot.....neither Simon nor the uke look 100 years old.....Simon is close but not quite.. :eek:ld:

Just joking pal......some birthday beats

Last edited:
Congrats! Without pictures, it's like it never happened...

The birthday boy has been very excited over this 100th Kamaka ! Sent me a couple of video, it sounds as rich as his voice as you all know that Simon is a Jazz singer.
Can't wait to put my finger prints on it. That's what friends are for - I always get to play without buying. Thank you Simon.
Yes you guys should all listen to downupdave. He is my Mr StringMan, my trouble shooter, the little voice in my head when UAS hit ...., he even accompanied me to buy a guitar in the snow storm.
Happy Birthday Simon ! You look great with that Kamaka in your arm , have you named her yet?

:) Simon. :nana:

So happy for you, Simon.
Happy early birthday. My b-day is this weekend.

But like the others have asked: where are the photos?

Last edited:
Despite Corey's great playing, I have to agree that high G is wasted on a 19" scale. Should be great for low G. Low F probably better still. Congrats. :shaka:

Congratulations, that's awesome. What strikes me is the clarity and balance. I think that you were quite succinct when you said sophistication. Very nice.

Congrats and Happy Birthday!
Kamakas are such impressive instruments....

Despite Corey's great playing, I have to agree that high G is wasted on a 19" scale. Should be great for low G. Low F probably better still. Congrats. :shaka:

Strung low G from HMS this uke is so lush it would melt the panties right off of you Jim. :eek:

A completely different animal compared to the high G recording Corey did.

Hey all, thanks for your comments.

I will post pictures very soon, and a sound sample with a Low G.

I have been really sick recently with that blasted cold (had laryngitis for 9 days) ... and now that I am over it, I am just catching up with work for the next three days.

I have one favilla bari [also 19" scale] tuned low g and it sounds great. [i have another in bari tuning] congrats.

Top Bottom