Low G Major Scale fingering

raduray

Reaction score
Any recommendations for best/most versatile fingering for a major scale with no open strings staring on the low G string? The only pattern that spans only four frets starts with the pinkie on the G string, but this is awkward as my pinkie's not that mobile (yet). Starting with any other finger results in a five fret span, which requires some stretching. I realize that I'll have to eventually master all permutations, but I'm wondering which one I should focus on first.

No. Maybe a stupid one? What's your preferred fingering for a major scale starting up the neck on the low G string?

What he means is that you should google a fretboard map of a ukulele, and plot out whatever scale you like, on whatever starting string you like. There's no trick to it.

What he means is that you should google a fretboard map of a ukulele, and plot out whatever scale you like, on whatever starting string you like. There's no trick to it.

I understand the fretboard map. I'm obviously not being clear. Let me try this another way. If you were to play a C Major scale starting on the 5th fret of the low G string, what left hand finger would you use for the root note (C - 5th fret on low G string)?

There are no hard & fast rules about finger positions, you use the ones that are most comfortable.

In your example, I think I would barre the 3rd with my index, middle on E, ring on C.

Hmmm, I think I understand now.

It really depends on where I am going next.
If I hit the root C on the 5th fret of the 4th string it is usually with my middle finger so I can keep my index finger free to hit a note before the 5th fret on the other strings.
Does this help you?

I understand the fretboard map. I'm obviously not being clear. Let me try this another way. If you were to play a C Major scale starting on the 5th fret of the low G string, what left hand finger would you use for the root note (C - 5th fret on low G string)?

This is how I would play it:

4th string, 5th fret 4th finger.
3rd string, 2nd fret 1st finger, 4th fret 3rd finger, 5th fret 4th finger.
2nd string, 3rd fret 2nd finger, 5th fret 4th finger
1st string 2nd fret 1st finger, 3rd fret 2nd finger.

I know your familiar with the fretboard but easiest to show the fingerings with the frets. Try this and you'll see that it is the most efficient in terms of economy of movement. My pinkie is not the best either but just keep practicing it this way and it'll get easier. Hope that helps.

John

Thanks to all. I've played with both 4th finger and 2nd finger on the 4th string root. I can see I'll need to gain proficiency with both.

Top Bottom