Pineapples...associated with style, genre, etc?

wicker

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am in the hunt for an upgrade and I am drawn toward pineapple sopranos...i just like the aesthetics, and I understand they can often give a fuller sound. I sincerely do not wish this question to seem superficial. But are pineapples generally associated with any particular style, genre, etc.? Are they viewed as traditionalist? Hip and modern? Are they favored for strumming vs finger picking? Do they draw any type of reaction from fellow ukulele players? Or are these questions or considerations simply not applicable in the uke community. Again, please do not read this as overly superficial...I am genuinely curious before I take the plunge on a pineapple.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Wicker

Hmmmm... I have one (I play mostly fingerstyle) and I can't say that I've ever heard of a pineapple being associated with any particular genre or style. They're just not all that common, I don't think - I know a few others who have pineapples and like myself, they alternate them with their figure-8 ukes, but I don't think the choice is based on any of the factors you mentioned - at least it isn't for me.

I like the Kala Watermelon one, and the Flea pineapple. Expensive tho!

They just look different, honestly. I don't know if the sound is dramatically altered; that depends on the make of the ukulele. Probably more volume, but they are not attached to any style of music or playing. They come in many sizes and wood types from a variety of builders. So you can't generalize about a pineapple uke too much.

the larger body cavity gives it a louder tone of a concert.... with the traditional kamaka strings at GCEA tuning, you get the hawaiian traditional sound

My only pineapple is a KoAloha longneck pineapple soprano. I quite like it. It sounds more like a KoAloha soprano than a KoAloha concert (which sounds more like some tenors!), and it's really nice to play. What I like about it, besides the tone, is that it doesn't look like a small guitar, but like its own thing. That part is purely cosmetic, though the "bigger" sound comes from the larger surface area and the deeper cavity. Sound-wise, it's probably the uke (of the ones I have) that I like the most, though it's rivaled or matched by the Black Bear koa soprano. Hard to compare, though, they really have their own voices, both beautiful.

It's not really "traditionalist". It was more of a marketing, product identification thing that Kamaka thought of decades after ukuleles had been "invented". It's certainly more unique and it tends to stand out more, with people asking what it is (seems to get confused with mandolins or hand lutes, somehow!).

I'd probably have only pineapples if there was a bigger selection of them, but they are harder to come by, especially with the bigger sizes. The ones made by Kamaka and KoAloha are probably the best ones you can come by in the non-custom market. Both also sound distinctly different from each other, but that is true for a lot of ukes, I find, regardless of the shape.

I do believe everyone should at least have one pineapple! :)

While soprano pineapples sound fuller than most regular sopranos, I prefer the slightly fuller sound of the concert necked pineapple sopranos, especially since concert is my preferred size. I got one of the KPK's when they came out. If I got a deal on a KoAloha long neck pineapple, would be hard to resist. I just like playing something different once in a while.

At risk of appearing to be even more of a Blackbird fanboy, Blackbird's Clara has a pineapple-ish shape, and I think it's good for all playing styles. More tenor than a soprano in sound, though.

I prefer the slightly fuller sound of the concert necked pineapple sopranos, especially since concert is my preferred size. I got one of the KPK's when they came out.

I think in some ways a longneck pineapple soprano is the best of both worlds. You get a good portion of the soprano sound, but it's louder and fuller, without the "guitar-y" sound that concerts sometimes have, while also benefiting from the slightly longer scale. If I could only have one ukulele, I think that would be my choice (or the BB soprano -- really loving it).

Last edited:
I just got my first pineapple. A KoAloha KSM-01.
It is quickly turning into my favorite uke.
I have been playing tenor for a year and a half and wanted to try something new.

I am so glad I tried it.
The KoAloha is only 12 frets but the neck width at the nut is 1.5 inches. Which is wider than my Pono tenor.
I love the wider neck. It gives my fingers some room.
I am primarily a fingerstyle player but find that I can play fingerstyle on the pineapple with ease because of the wider neck.

I have a Mele concert pineapple that is absolutely killer. Louder than most of my concerts, and rivals both my tenors in volume. Pineapples are just cool.

For any ukulele of any size, or shape, to play it standing without a strap is to add the pain of the upper edge being impressed into the underside of your forearm. Brad Donaldson made my pineapple 7-13 from a piece of Oregon Myrtle I had been saving since 1981. The sound "hole" is a kidney bean shape in the lower front corner. It was not intentional, but it very convenient to hook my little finger to the rear of it. The 1 1/2" long x 1" high oval side port brings the sound to me. Since I am the one playing it, I consider myself as the primary audience. The Kidney Bean is 2 1/2" long by 1". The amount of wood is more than the 8 shape ukuleles, and the majority of it runs the entire length of the body without being cut in half. I have another ukulele with the sound hole as the kidney bean shape in the arch between the front and back bouts. Again, the majority of the top is not cut in half, and the tone is warm and full. Both run Aquila reentrant white strings. The P/apple is 2" thick at the front, and 2 5/8 at the tail, x 10 7/8 long. Both of the bean hole ukes are also strung through the body rather than tied to the top.. It has a very light 1/2 strap with a button of the heel of the neck and 1/4 of the way up at the bottom edge. Tuners are short PEGHEDS which only protrude 1/4 of an inch out the back of a 5/16 at the top holes and 9/16 at the bottom holes headstock. There are other factors to consider other than just the outline shape.

I mostly associate pineapples with piña coladas :)

I agree with previous comments about the KoAloha Pineapple Soprano. I have one and love the fuller sound!

Cannon- ukulele jargon for a a loud uke.
For instance:
I though my Pono MGT had great volume and then I played a KoAloha pineapple soprano and it sounds like a canon. I cannot believe the volume I am getting from such a little instrument.

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I am in the hunt for an upgrade and I am drawn toward pineapple sopranos...i just like the aesthetics, and I understand they can often give a fuller sound. I sincerely do not wish this question to seem superficial. But are pineapples generally associated with any particular style, genre, etc.? Are they viewed as traditionalist? Hip and modern? Are they favored for strumming vs finger picking? Do they draw any type of reaction from fellow ukulele players? Or are these questions or considerations simply not applicable in the uke community. Again, please do not read this as overly superficial...I am genuinely curious before I take the plunge on a pineapple.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Wicker

Good questions, never really thought about it until now.
I always thought they were cute, but had no conotations regarding style of play or sound. No genre or gender. They were a different shape and I did assume different somehow. Like wood or soundhole placement, something has to be different. Me, curious.
Strumming or finger pickinʻ, whatever suits your fancy.
Most do draw some attention because they are different, but a nice instrument gets looks anyway.

Then the time came for me to choose Ukuleleʻs for the grandkids. Aside from the guy wanting to ask whether they were boys or girls, dumb - I tested quite a few and the first one I chose was a Kala satin mahoghany pineapple, it really popped and had a fine sustain. Like my grandson.

Then I chose a figure 8 for the granddaughter and hubby, but before I was all done I had fallen for a pineapple of my own!
Kamoa E3-P really is a happy little cuss, I wasnʻt planning on one for me - didnʻt know what I wanted until I heard it. Maple for crying out loud, and loud like a bell, love it. It still can be played quietly though. It is a tiny bit larger and louder than the Kala.

Why a pineapple? All I can say is it makes me happy. It sounds happy as all get out and that just made my ear do a happy dance, itʻs is very cute in a simple way. Why not?

If the ukulele is a jumping flea- the pineapple has fat dogs

Last edited:
Top Bottom