Barron River tenors????

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I like Barron River tenor ukuleles based on the looks and Allen the builder seems like a great guy. But there is a lack of sound samples for tenors out there

I have only heard one sound sample of a tenor and that was strung reentrant. Are there any Barron River owners out there with low G strung tenors that would be willing to put up a sound sample.

Or maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Custom ukes are not cheap and I think we all would like to hear what one sounds like before dropping big money on one.

Dave, I just had a look at Trevor's website ( http://www.trevorgollaghermusic.com/current-store-stock.html ) and only the all hog one is available. Remember that the price listed is AUS$. Postage should be about AUS$150 to Canada insured priority.
As my BR is a 8 string I don't know if I can comment on a BR 4 string. I do love my 8 string though. Actually I'm considering a BR baritone right now.

I have a mahogany concert Barron River. No, not a tenor, and mine is not a tenor-ish sounding concert, it leans more to a soprano sound but with much more sustain. I can, though, attest to my BR being a lightly built, slim-necked and beautifully crafted instrument. Mine wasn't custom, but one of a pair of concerts Allen McFarlen made to sell on his website. YorkSteve has the other one. Honestly, I like the fact that it wasn't a custom, and instead something Allen thought would sound great. I was able to hear mountain goat demo it on an old YouTube channel of his. It's a unique looking instrument without having too much bling. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from Trevor Gollagher.

BTW, Bosko's Barron River 5-string concert is what led me to discovering these ukes:

Last edited:
Barron River/Allen does great work. Blue_knight_usa owns a few and I have played them- they are high quality instruments that sound great! you can feel comfortable ordering one. I don't have one, but I have played a few.

Thanks everyone and especially to you Jon for posting those videos. Greatly appreciated brother

This is such an awesome community, ask for help and you get it in spades..........ukulele love runs supreme

Thanks everyone and especially to you Jon for posting those videos. Greatly appreciated brother

This is such an awesome community, ask for help and you get it in spades..........ukulele love runs supreme

Great videos John.

Great thread. BR Ukes are quality instruments. Need one. Lol

Dave, it's your fault I spent the entire evening with my BR tenor. :p I'm not yet recordable, but the instrument really is superb. Had been a while since I played it, because I'm so soprano/concert focused lately, but I forgot just how delicious it sounds and how well it is made. Oozes craftsmanship.

Dave, it's your fault I spent the entire evening with my BR tenor. :p I'm not yet recordable, but the instrument really is superb. Had been a while since I played it, because I'm so soprano/concert focused lately, but I forgot just how delicious it sounds and how well it is made. Oozes craftsmanship.

We were texting last night and I said a BR Tenor thread was in order because we are both thinking about a BR ... I would like one in all Aussie wood ... so it really is my fault, although Dave took action ... so truly it is all his fault. LOL.

Mivo ... delicious and oozing ... sounds very enticing.

Top Bottom