Scales

Martynas

Reaction score
i just saw another thread about scales below here and started to google how to use it and what its used for? and its for finger picking right?
could you explain more about scales how to use it and where to find songs written in scales for finger picking? i made this thread because i want to learn something more because its pretty boring to play songs with 3-6 chords everyday.
Thank you:)

Scales are basically exercises, they teach you where the notes are.

If you want to start playing melodies, you will need to use tab or read standard notation.

Download a fingerboard map, so you can see where the notes are on the fretboard, & then it's down to practicing.

There isn't a lot of real tab on the internet, but there is some, & again there is a fair bit in standard notation.

Edit: This may help you on your journey.
http://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-chord-charts.html

Last edited:
Depending on how much you want to dive into standard notation, this thread might be helpful as well.

Personally I don't see big use in learning scales just for the sake of learning scales. Sure, it's a good thing to get to know which note is where on the fretboard, this will help you in the long run to play melodies by ear. Taking that knowledge a bit further you will have to dig deeper into theory anyway (which is never a bad thing because it helps understanding the overall "concept" behind harmonies and chords and all the like).
One good thing about learning scales (and/or chord arpeggios) is that finger dexterity will increase over time, you will be able to use your left pinky way more and easier.

And BTW: "scales" is not another way of musical notation (see Wikipedia for more details)

If you want to improvise a melody, you need to know scales. Your basic scale is Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-La-Ti-Do, but there are variations. Google basic music theory. By knowing how to finger the scales intuitively, you can then play around with various modifications of the order of notes to find and develop improvisations. Usually, but not always, selecting from only the notes on a scale will sound better.

Top Bottom