Need list of classic ukulele songs for street performance

flyingace

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm hoping to add about 10 classic style songs to my repertoire for doing some street performing and accompanying my wife's hula hooping. I'm thinking of songs in the style of Ike and Godfrey and others. I would love to hear what some of your favorites are, especially the faster paced (100-130bpm) songs that you feel are that classic uke sound. I have many current songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s. And they are great but I was kinda hoping to put some old school in my performance as we are both performing. She is doing the 50s style dress hooping. I was thinking of dong the spike jones thing maybe?

Thanks!!

Off the top of my head; "Ain't She Sweet" (see her hooping on the street).

Five Foot Two is a standard

I would also throw out Barry Mann's "Who Put the Bomp" which is an all around fun song

Although I suppose more a great classic dance number than a uke classic per se, for what you are talking about doing- how about Cole Porter's "Anything Goes?"

First song I learned....Yes sir, that's my baby. For the hula hoop performance, how about ...I wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate.

Here's a great song collection worth reviewing: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/

Last edited:
Hello friends, one tune I've really grown to like is George Harrison's version of "Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea". It moves along at a nice bright pace and really gets your foot tappin' !!

WOW, thanks folks! These are some great suggestions!

Great link PhilUSAFRet

Ain't She Sweet and Anything Goes are fun. I play Sweet Pea (Amos Lee) and it's got that OldTimey feel.

Once you get down Porter's "Anything Goes", try "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat" from Guys and Dolls. Or anything from Guys and Dolls, really. Most of that musical works well on the uke.

Thanks All! Here is my current "book" that I'm working up into a playlist for performance this month. I'm sure I'll add a few more but I am planning 2 30 minute sets and this times out to roughly 28 minutes a set depending on breaks in between songs.

Sweet Pea - Amos Lee
Across the Universe - The Beatles
Ain't She Sweet
Anything Goes
La Reyna - Penny and Sparrow
Baby, Would You Marry Me? - Svavar Knutur
Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard
Here Comes the Sun
Riptide (I am so sick of this song, I will likely kick it out)
Yes, Sir, That's My Baby
Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World - Brudah Iz
Dream A Little Dream of Me
In My Life - The Beatles
Longing to Belong - Eddie Vedder
On a Slow Boat to China
Without You - Eddie Vedder
Tonight You Belong to Me
The One I Love - David Gray
I'm Yours - Mraz
Trouble - Cat Stevens
Whole Wide World