This is Fantastic

I just came across this. I don't know if it's been mentioned here before this. If so, sorry. If not, this is a real treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiSwzdinpfY

yes, that's pretty cool, thanks for bringing it Lenny.

This is good ammo for slapping the naysayers that persist in saying that the uke is 'just a toy guitar'

Did you know you can embed a video here in the forum message so it plays directly? When you are in the message editor, it is the second-to-last icon button that looks like a filmstrip, and the result is thus:

I'm a failure...

Thanks for the video link, great vid and playing as well :)!

yes, that's pretty cool, thanks for bringing it Lenny.

This is good ammo for slapping the naysayers that persist in saying that the uke is 'just a toy guitar'

Did you know you can embed a video here in the forum message so it plays directly? When you are in the message editor, it is the second-to-last icon button that looks like a filmstrip, and the result is thus:

Excellent advice, Booli. I guess I never thought about it.

It's a great video, isn't it? I'm really enjoying it.

Is that really a Gibson uke?

If you look at the guy's face when he opens it, you can tell it was tongue-in-cheek. It has a tape on the head stock with the name Gibson on it. Also, if you follow some of the links in the video, it brings you to his blog where he talks about ordering the Uke he used.

What I don't know is how he gets the backing percussion track to change with the different riffs. There were lots of different backings and lots of styles used. If he recorded it and changed as the percussion changed, that would be amazing. It does seem he starts the different riffs before the percussion starts so I don't know.

This video is so much fun.

If you look at the guy's face when he opens it, you can tell it was tongue-in-cheek. It has a tape on the head stock with the name Gibson on it. Also, if you follow some of the links in the video, it brings you to his blog where he talks about ordering the Uke he used.

What I don't know is how he gets the backing percussion track to change with the different riffs. There were lots of different backings and lots of styles used. If he recorded it and changed as the percussion changed, that would be amazing. It does seem he starts the different riffs before the percussion starts so I don't know.

This video is so much fun.

Seems to me that all the backing tracks were done in advance as you can see Garageband on the screen of his computer in the background (fat colored horizontal lines and one of the built-in effects in a large blue rectangle with silver knobs beneath it are kind of a give away if you've used any newer version of Garageband)

Possibly ALL of the audio was recorded in advance of the video, and then he has that audio piped into the camera and then just mimes the playing for the video recording part...just like nearly ALL the videos on MTV are the players miming and/or lipsynching to the recording while the camera rolls...

Most people cannot tell the difference, but if you've edited enough video, you can see the slight lag or out-of-synch nature of the video vs. the audio, it's not much, maybe less than 100ms, but if you watch again, and know some of these riffs, his fingers do not move exactly when the sound comes out...

...it's either that, or YouTube has introduced it's own artifacts that manifest as slight synch issues, which has happened to me MANY many times after uploading a video to YT. Play perfect on my computer, and then after upload, something is 'off'.

In any case, none of the video production process details in any way degrade the significance of this video.

If I had to guess, this 9min33sec video, took about 100 hours of effort in the creation of the audio tracks (he might have got some pre-made MIDI or other backing/karaoke tracks and just imported and/or tweaked them, which would cut down on the time), the shooting of the actual video with 2 different camera angles, and then the editing process of putting it all together...

In my 10+ experience of working in this industry, video editing is a HUGE black hole time-sucking and life-sucking chore (most of the time), regardless of which software or platform you use.

Some are less painful than others, but they all will take you 5-10 times MORE time than a lay-person might imagine, and this is even with a super-fast, latest-and-greatest computer editing workstation....

I did both camera work as well as extensive editing work for two different video companies and saw analog tape go away and the coming of digital non-linear systems come into vogue. Digital is SO MUCH better and faster, but still a PITA and say goodbye to wife and kids for a week or two if you are on assignment. Deadlines are always right at the edge of possible/completely-impossible.

So a video like this is not just what you see in the end result, it is all of time and effort of the pre-production and post-production that goes into it, which is seldom appreciated by the viewer. This is one reason why Wedding Videos and similar always seem so expensive to the uninitiated, never-mind broadcast work - Super Bowl ads can cost millions of dollars to create and for good reason.

anyway...I digress...sorry for the off-topic...please forgive me...:shaka:

So a video like this is not just what you see in the end result, it is all of time and effort of the pre-production and post-production that goes into it, which is seldom appreciated by the viewer.

No reason to apologize if you are sharing important information. And you seem to always share great information.

Also, I agree completely with this statement.

Last edited:
Seems to me that all the backing tracks were done in advance as you can see Garageband on the screen of his computer in the background (fat colored horizontal lines and one of the built-in effects in a large blue rectangle with silver knobs beneath it are kind of a give away if you've used any newer version of Garageband)

Possibly ALL of the audio was recorded in advance of the video, and then he has that audio piped into the camera and then just mimes the playing for the video recording part...just like nearly ALL the videos on MTV are the players miming and/or lipsynching to the recording while the camera rolls...

Most people cannot tell the difference, but if you've edited enough video, you can see the slight lag or out-of-synch nature of the video vs. the audio, it's not much, maybe less than 100ms, but if you watch again, and know some of these riffs, his fingers do not move exactly when the sound comes out...

...it's either that, or YouTube has introduced it's own artifacts that manifest as slight synch issues, which has happened to me MANY many times after uploading a video to YT. Play perfect on my computer, and then after upload, something is 'off'.

In any case, none of the video production process details in any way degrade the significance of this video.

If I had to guess, this 9min33sec video, took about 100 hours of effort in the creation of the audio tracks (he might have got some pre-made MIDI or other backing/karaoke tracks and just imported and/or tweaked them, which would cut down on the time), the shooting of the actual video with 2 different camera angles, and then the editing process of putting it all together...

In my 10+ experience of working in this industry, video editing is a HUGE black hole time-sucking and life-sucking chore (most of the time), regardless of which software or platform you use.

Some are less painful than others, but they all will take you 5-10 times MORE time than a lay-person might imagine, and this is even with a super-fast, latest-and-greatest computer editing workstation....

I did both camera work as well as extensive editing work for two different video companies and saw analog tape go away and the coming of digital non-linear systems come into vogue. Digital is SO MUCH better and faster, but still a PITA and say goodbye to wife and kids for a week or two if you are on assignment. Deadlines are always right at the edge of possible/completely-impossible.

So a video like this is not just what you see in the end result, it is all of time and effort of the pre-production and post-production that goes into it, which is seldom appreciated by the viewer. This is one reason why Wedding Videos and similar always seem so expensive to the uninitiated, never-mind broadcast work - Super Bowl ads can cost millions of dollars to create and for good reason.

Booli, your digressions alone have more insight and information than any informational posts that I have ever put up. Keep them coming. I always learn from you and I thank you for that.

No reason to apologize if you are sharing important information. And you seem to always share great information.

Also, I agree completely with this statement.

Booli, your digressions alone have more insight and information than any informational posts that I have ever put up. Keep them coming. I always learn from you and I thank you for that.

Hi guys...

Thanks for the kind words.

It is nice to see my tangential 'indulgences' are of value to others.

Because of my varied and in-depth experiences, driven by my own curiosity in a kind of 'all-or-nothing-at-all methodology' to try and understand these things myself to the most granular level, it is sometimes very difficult for me to withhold information that may be too far off-topic or sometimes not obviously relevant.

Sometimes it is very difficult to simplify things in order to explain it to other folks since they are not living in my mind and cannot see the connections that I see myself.

When I was a teenager and MTV was brand new, I was always thinking 'how do they do that?' and pretty much think that about everything, and either try to figure it out by taking (or breaking) things apart, and if I cannot divine the function, try to learn from others who have the knowledge and/or experience.

This credo let me to start doing video production starting in college, in addition to some other things, and I kept with it over the years in one form or other.

Having said that, I have learned as much, if not more than what I've shared from other fine folks, and consider that we are all in this boat together...

Some things I cannot experience myself right now, so I try to live vicariously through others, and learn from their observations...

...I just hope that my memories (and my physical abilities) last long enough to use what I've got filed away before I get old and frail (this most recent March birthday seems like I aged more than a year in the past 12 months, lately I 'feel' old :()

So I try to pay-forward as much as possible, since our time here is limited and measured by how meaningfully we spend it, and the journey we ride rather than a specific destination as 'the prize'.

Mahalo,

Booli

Last edited:
Just as an example, the video enclosed below is an example of some supremely talented artists but even better, an example of what some professionals can do with all the wizardry possible with video and audio editing and production.

(you may recognize Danielle from 'Danielle Ate the Sandwich')

The folks that put this together, in my mind are simply masters of the craft. IMHO this is a great example of the pinnacle of this art form, as well as having basically all of the music of my youth rolled into one performance...(not counting the jazz and classical music absent here)...

So, here is something else for you to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VZdtBVxLQE

Top Bottom