you-kulele vs. oo-kulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

toyrtle

Reaction score
I understand that the correct way to say it is 'oo'-kulele

BUT

Outside of Hawaii, it feels a bit weird saying it that way.

Just wondering how many people say it correctly and who says it the incorrect way....

I think this topic has been done before. So you might get butt rushed by the mods. Haha.

I try to pronounce it ookoolele when I'm thinking about it, because it sounds more Hawaii and less I Married My Cousin.

I didn't even know how to do a search on the topic.

DO people look at you strangely if you say it the proper way?

I didn't even know how to do a search on the topic.

DO people look at you strangely if you say it the proper way?

They do. Which is why in Hawaii or with fellow uke enthusiasts, I always pronounce it correctly, but when around the non-believers, I revert to yoo-koo-lay-lee.

I always say ookoolaylay - don't really care if people look at me funny. If they say anything, I say, "It's a Hawai'ian word, and that's the proper pronunciation."

I usually stay away from the shortened version, but if I use it, I say Yook.

They do. Which is why in Hawaii or with fellow uke enthusiasts, I always pronounce it correctly, but when around the non-believers, I revert to yoo-koo-lay-lee.

Same here. If I tell someone I play the "ookoolehleh," they have no idea what I'm talking about. Then I say "youkalaylee" and they're like "...oh, THAT." :p But there are a lot of serious players who say "youkalaylee" so I don't think it matters much. :B

It's "yook" for short either way, though. I've never heard "ook" before.

It's only pretentious if you correct others, like Porsche owners who yell at you for saying it with one syllable. ;)

I say ookoolele but like someone else said. I get wierd looks from people too.. Then the next sentence is.. you know yookooleyle!!
:shaka:

This is like my pet peeve, man. You can trash talk the uke in front of me as much as you want, and I'll keep my temper, but pronounce it wrong, and you have it COMING.

Na jus kidding. I'll just say "Pronounce it right, man, you sound like a tourist", but I have haters because of that. :D

I use oo-kulele in my head, but saw you-koo-le-lee out loud. People don't know what I'm talking about when I pronounce it properly.

But I normally go for uke (yoo-ke) ;)

i say you-ku-lay-le most of the time... because when u say ookulele, people say what? or isnt it youkulayle and i have tried to explain that its ookulele to so many people, i am now just over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom