PDA

View Full Version : Correct string angle at the nut

Vespa Bob
04-29-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm no physics expert, so I've been trying to puzzle out how the string angle at the nut effects tuning the string. The way I see it is that a steeply angled headstock would apply more tension to a string than a shallow angled one, thus requiring less turns on the tuning machine to produce a given note than would be required by the shallow angled string. Is there anything wrong with this, since ultimately they would both arrive at the same tension to produce the note? I guess all I'm wondering is whether there is a scientific method for calculating the "ideal" angle, or am I over thinking this?

Bob

joebok
04-29-2016, 12:53 PM
The angle at the nut won't affect the overall required tension. A steeper angle will seat the string in the nut more firmly which will affect the sound - generally you would expect increased sustain and resonance though I expect there might be a point of diminishing returns. So the ideal would depend on what qualities you wanted in your final instrument.

I have only done trial and error, so I don't have any specific information.

BlackBearUkes
04-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Most luthiers use a head angle of 12-15 degrees for a standard design, less for a slot head. Don't over think this, you won't gain anything accept grief if you change things too much.

I'm no physics expert, so I've been trying to puzzle out how the string angle at the nut effects tuning the string. The way I see it is that a steeply angled headstock would apply more tension to a string than a shallow angled one, thus requiring less turns on the tuning machine to produce a given note than would be required by the shallow angled string. Is there anything wrong with this, since ultimately they would both arrive at the same tension to produce the note? I guess all I'm wondering is whether there is a scientific method for calculating the "ideal" angle, or am I over thinking this?

Bob

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
04-29-2016, 06:35 PM
A slotted headstock has less of an angle, but the strings (should) have a similar angle to a solid headstock.