Can't View Video Links Anymore

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
Suddenly I can't view any video links on the forum, anyone know what I need to do to fix it? (Sorry, did search first)

Sometimes all it takes is to just restart your computer.

Does videos work for you on other links such as Facebook or you tube?
what are you on a desktop or tablet or phone
have you tried a different tablet or phone?

Sometimes all it takes is to just restart your computer.

Thanks, I did a restart yesterday, so not that.

Does videos work for you on other links such as Facebook or you tube?
what are you on a desktop or tablet or phone
have you tried a different tablet or phone?

I'm on a windows tablet. Youtube is working & from Facebook, so that's fine. Haven't tried the other computer (can't get daughter off it long enough)

Does it not work when you click video links or can you not see embedded videos?

How do I do that?

I never used a Windows tablet before (only iOS and Android), but dont they have an APP STORE or something? Maybe you have to install either the official YouTube app from GOOGLE, or install Adobe Flash for the browser plugin (which has been basically abandoned/deprecated on all other mobile/phone/tablet platforms since like 2014)...

OR there might be a whole operating system UPDATE that you can/should download that has all kinds of bugfixes, security updates, and program updates - this is a regular thing for most people to do at least weekly, otherwise a malicious website can install malware or worse yet ransomware that takes over and locks your device or computer until you wire them money for the unlock password.

Is there a SETTINGS or CONTROL PANEL in Windows on your tablet? If so is there anything about Software or System UPDATE? Can you tell it to CHECK FOR UPDATES? You might want to do that, and then have it dload and install all the updates - and I would not do this on battery, make sure it's plugged in since continuous use of WiFi eats battery real fast on most devices, and if I know Microsoft, your gonna have hundreds of MB of dloads if the device was never updated before...

I don't see anything. I see the rest of the post, and then a large blank area before the person's signature.

If you see a blank area, does it not show something like 'Missing Plugin'? Maybe in the browser settings, there is an option for multimedia plugins or Adobe Flash plugin and you have to ENABLE it? It's possible that if you ALREADY updated the tablet that by default Microsoft has DISABLED certain plugins that it considers a security risk to help users from getting hacked, and you might need to review what they are, and see if you can enable them or what the consequences of enabling them are, for ALL plugins, no matter Windows/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android can and HAVE been exploited in the past to breech the security of your device and/or install malware and/or steal personal information like your Address Book, WiFi and other network passwords, and the logins for your email and Facebook, etc accounts, all of which are resold on the black market and used for identity theft and to perform credit-card fraud...

For ANYONE using anything connected to the internet, this should be common knowledge, and steps taken to protect against threats (the EASIEST being keeping your systems UPDATED), otherwise being unprotected, it's like going to the wrong side of town at 3am with $100 bills taped all over your naked body and repeatedly screaming racial slurs and 'kill me now mutha f*kas' and expecting to get home safe without a scratch...

It's not IF, but WHEN your device will get hacked...

[disclaimer: I've worked 30 yrs in IT, of which 12 yrs in network security, but now I write programs instead]

I'm on a windows tablet. Youtube is working & from Facebook, so that's fine. Haven't tried the other computer (can't get daughter off it long enough)

What app (and version number of said app) are you using to access Youtube and Facebook?

In which app can you NOT see the videos, and on which web sites? (please share the link to a specific web page so we can verify if we also cannot see the videos in question - sometimes an ISP blocks content too)

Maybe you have to install either the official YouTube app from GOOGLE, or install Adobe Flash for the browser plugin

but they worked before, I didn't have to install an app before now and I've had this thing years.

Is there a SETTINGS or CONTROL PANEL in Windows on your tablet? If so is there anything about Software or System UPDATE? Can you tell it to CHECK FOR UPDATES? [/QQUOTE]
It checks for updates regularly & installs them automatically and I did a full restart with update installs just the other day in fact and made no difference. Just found some optional updates which I'm installing now.

If you see a blank area, does it not show something like 'Missing Plugin'?

No.

Maybe in the browser settings, there is an option for multimedia plugins or Adobe Flash plugin and you have to ENABLE it? It's possible that if you ALREADY updated the tablet that by default Microsoft has DISABLED certain plugins that it considers a security risk to help users from getting hacked, and you might need to review what they are, and see if you can enable them or what the consequences of enabling them are, for ALL plugins, no matter Windows/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android can and HAVE been exploited in the past to breech the security of your device and/or install malware and/or steal personal information like your Address Book, WiFi and other network passwords, and the logins for your email and Facebook, etc accounts, all of which are resold on the black market and used for identity theft and to perform credit-card fraud...

[disclaimer: I've worked 30 yrs in IT, of which 12 yrs in network security, but now I write programs instead]

I am grateful for your sharing your expertise.

What app (and version number of said app) are you using to access Youtube and Facebook?
I'm not as tech savvy as you. I don't know, and I don't know where to find out. I'm using windows explorer

In which app can you NOT see the videos, and on which web sites? (please share the link to a specific web page so we can verify if we also cannot see the videos in question - sometimes an ISP blocks content too)

I cannot see any vids in this seasons thread: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?118201-With-a-Little-Help-From-My-Friends

but they worked before, I didn't have to install an app before now and I've had this thing years.

Is there a SETTINGS or CONTROL PANEL in Windows on your tablet? If so is there anything about Software or System UPDATE? Can you tell it to CHECK FOR UPDATES? [/QQUOTE]
It checks for updates regularly & installs them automatically and I did a full restart with update installs just the other day in fact and made no difference. Just found some optional updates which I'm installing now.

No.

Maybe in the browser settings, there is an option for multimedia plugins or Adobe Flash plugin and you have to ENABLE it? It's possible that if you ALREADY updated the tablet that by default Microsoft has DISABLED certain plugins that it considers a security risk to help users from getting hacked, and you might need to review what they are, and see if you can enable them or what the consequences of enabling them are, for ALL plugins, no matter Windows/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android can and HAVE been exploited in the past to breech the security of your device and/or install malware and/or steal personal information like your Address Book, WiFi and other network passwords, and the logins for your email and Facebook, etc accounts, all of which are resold on the black market and used for identity theft and to perform credit-card fraud...

I am grateful for your sharing your expertise.

I'm not as tech savvy as you. I don't know, and I don't know where to find out. I'm using windows explorer

I cannot see any vids in this seasons thread: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?118201-With-a-Little-Help-From-My-Friends

ok. Thanks for filling in the blanks.

I can see the videos in that thread in Firefox on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 and in Safari on my iPad3 running iOS 8.3.1

I have 3 ideas you can try (in order of complexity and time spent):

1. Can you install another web browser like Firefox, Chrome or Opera, and use that instead of Windows Explorer and see if the problem persists viewing that same web page? This will eliminate the browser from the equation, and provide a more focused view of the problem.

2. Can you create a NEW USER ACCOUNT on the tablet with a different password, and profile, and since that account will have different settings from the one you are using now, then LOGOUT of your current account and login to the NEW account, and then try the same web page and see if the videos are visible and can be played? If so, then it is a problem in the browser settings of your other account and we can focus on looking at that.

I do not have hands on experience with this process, but there should be instructions on Microsoft's web site under http://support.microsoft.com

3. Is is possible for you to do a backup of all of your personal information and documents to either a desktop computer or the Microsoft Cloud Drive, Google Drive or DropBox?

If so and you do this FIRST, there should be a way to do a FACTORY RESET or full data wipe from the Contol Panel that will restore the tablet back to new 'out of the box' that has nothing set, and then you can import or restore your settings and see if the problem persists.

I do not have hands on experience with this process, but there should be instructions on Microsoft's web site under http://support.microsoft.com

Please try the above if you can and report back. I will do my best to help, but I've purposely avoided touching any Microsoft product any more than absolutely necessary since 2005 (except for as a virtual machine either in Virtual Box or VMWare), and since then I moved to Mac (in 2005) for my everyday computer, and then to Linux (at the end of 2015) for my everyday computer (after running and administering it on servers since 2000).

Having said the above, troubleshooting is troubleshooting, regardless of the operating system or platform.

No worries about your level of tech savvy, not everyone has the time or inclination, but I spent way too long in my early career on a helpdesk, that was exclusively Windows-based, until I was able to elevate myself out of that grind and into server and network design and administration. I am happy to share my experience here, especially since you do not seem to be making progress otherwise...:)

Please let me know if/when you need more help.

Top Bottom