HoRa baritone

drbekken

Reaction score
Anybody got any info or opinions about these instruments? I have seen a couple of favorable reviews, and the price (including shipping from Romania to Norway) for a solid mahogany HoRa baritone is about $100. I might just give it a try.

Hope they are better than the Amigo's. A few demos on youtube. Certainly "look" good. Sorry you have to pay that much for shipping. Good luck, I've seen you make some very inexpensive baritones sound very good.

I bought a standard Hora baritone recently - just as a toe-in-the-water to see if I liked baritone scale and tuning. Some random observations:

The finish is acceptable (at the price) but not great - certainly a little rough around the edges and the bridge and fingerboard appear to be painted black - not sure what wood they are. However, frets are level and there is no buzz.

The strings needed replacing - I put a Martin M630 set on it. The scale is a little on the short side - 18.75" by my measurement and I find it feels a little floppy to play at standard bari tuning.

The tuners are very basic friction types, although to be fair they have so far held tuning well.

The standard model comes with a solid spruce top and sustain is pretty good.

I'm almost certainly going to put it on eBay. I think it's okay for what it cost - if I thought it was a bad instrument I would put it on the fire rather than selling it on to someone else ;)

Amigo is a brand made by Hora, in Reghin (RO).

Some thing that might interest you:
- they build their instruments in very large batches with months in between each instrument type, meaning that there are significant differences between batches: fretboard material, bracing, headstock shape... One Hora baritone may not look exactly like another one!
- on the up-side, Hora only uses local (Eastern European) woods, used in solid slices. The factory is in the middle of the Carpathians, and especially their spruce and maple is excellent (their 'bread and butter' are violins and double basses).
- their ukuleles are all on the smaller side of the traditional sizes, save for the sopranos which are normal size. This results in a rather low string tension with regular strings. Try some high tension strings!
- sometimes they're built a bit too heavy, sometimes not. The export models have slightly better finishes (fret dressing, glue residue, sloppy paint marks.
- their strings are rubbish, but then again replacing them isn't costly.
- solid instruments at the lowest possible price!

Amigo is a brand made by Hora, in Reghin (RO).

Some thing that might interest you:
- they build their instruments in very large batches with months in between each instrument type, meaning that there are significant differences between batches: fretboard material, bracing, headstock shape... One Hora baritone may not look exactly like another one!
- on the up-side, Hora only uses local (Eastern European) woods, used in solid slices. The factory is in the middle of the Carpathians, and especially their spruce and maple is excellent (their 'bread and butter' are violins and double basses).
- their ukuleles are all on the smaller side of the traditional sizes, save for the sopranos which are normal size. This results in a rather low string tension with regular strings. Try some high tension strings!
- sometimes they're built a bit too heavy, sometimes not. The export models have slightly better finishes (fret dressing, glue residue, sloppy paint marks.
- their strings are rubbish, but then again replacing them isn't costly.
- solid instruments at the lowest possible price!

Well, thanks for that info. Based on this, and a youtube review in German, I take my chances. Just ordered one. I'll keep you posted.

Ok...the Hora baritone arrived yesterday. Solid mahogany, excellent craftsmanship, very nice tone. Videos will be coming shortly.

Top Bottom