PDA

View Full Version : Not getting my fingers burned

Timbuck
05-01-2016, 04:55 AM
To prevent wrinkles, creasing and cracking on a awkward batch of mahogany sides..I have been pre-bending the waist area on a hot pipe & heatgun before I complete them in the foxy bender..I made up a couple of devices to help me make the bend (cos i'm not really that good at hand bending) :o ... and i made little video of the bending of one side piece :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUmyFjC5THI

sequoia
05-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks Ken. I never thought of using a bending caul on a hot pipe. So simple. So. Brilliant!.... Why didn't I think of that?

surdo
05-02-2016, 01:28 PM
This looks like an economical way of doing it. How many watts is the heat gun operating at? Do you have any tips as to how to judge the right temperature? Ie. when it it's too hot or too cold? it looks like a steel pipe. I saw someone else using aluminium in a blog, although they were using a blow torch to heat the pipe. Any thoughts? Thanks

Timbuck
05-02-2016, 07:43 PM
The sort of pipe you need can be anything eg: off an old vacuum cleaner, plumbers copper pipe etc..mine is off the steering column off a golf buggy, I tried a propane torch but it was getting too hot and scorching the wood...I find the electric heat gun is just right blasting full on. ;)