Left Hand Position - Interference with A String

raduray

Reaction score
Question about the left hand position. I find that when resting my left hand (bottom of index finger or just below it) against the neck, the fleshy part is touching the A-String, muting it. I can arch my wrist more so the hand doesn't touch the neck, but I seem to lose finger mobility and my wrist hurts when I lose that support. Any suggestions?

My question is why are you resting your left hand on the neck?
Is it for support?
If so, just get a strap.

Possibly thumb position is wrong, I sometimes still manage to mute the A string, but not as often as I used to, my thumb is usually half way up at the back of the neck.

My question is why are you resting your left hand on the neck?
Is it for support?
If so, just get a strap.

Partly for support, but even with a strap, I find it easier to rest the meaty part at the bottom of the index finger, opposite the thumb, against the side of the neck. Makes for a nice hinge/support/reference point.

Should the only points of contact on the neck be the thumb and fretting fingers?

Last edited:
Partly for support, but even with a strap, I find it easier to rest the meaty part at the bottom of the index finger, opposite the thumb, against the side of the neck. Makes for a nice hinge/support/reference point.

Should the only points of contact on the neck be the thumb and fretting fingers?

Here is my personal opinion: the left hand is for playing chords, notes, etc. and not for supporting the neck. You should be able to hold the uke in position without the left hand.

Here is my personal opinion: the left hand is for playing chords, notes, etc. and not for supporting the neck. You should be able to hold the uke in position without the left hand.

Agree. I never use my left hand for neck support.

He stated his index is opposite his thumb. That seems odd to me.
OP are your wrapping your fingers and thumb around the fretboard? (Which is a bad habit to develop and the muscle memory will be harder to re-develop the right technique)

If your thumb is placed properly on the neck for a given chord structure then your fingers should never be resting on the neck/fretboard edge.
I always use a strap. even on my soprano because I do a lot of finger-style and can't be slowed down by holding the neck in place.

Last edited:
Most folks find it easier to use the "classical" method of placing the thumb in the center of the neck rather than having the thumb rest on the side of the neck/fretboard. The latter is popular with folks who have played guitar that way for a long time and many of them finally switch to the classical method for ease of fingering.

Last edited:
Just keep on it. You will eventually figure it out and come up with something that works. It takes time.

Just keep on it. You will eventually figure it out and come up with something that works. It takes time.

Rlink, I respect your opinion but..,
I would suggest finding a proper technique rather than learning a bad habit. Sometimes a rookie will try for a solution that could cause pain or discomfort over a period of time and not know they are hurting themselves until a problem exists.
There are proper techniques to keep people from hurting themselves. I am sure some others can speak up about bad habits they had to break or improper techniques that caused discomfort.
Heck, it has happened to me. There must be more.

Most folks find it easier to use the "classical" method of placing the thumb in the center of the neck rather than having the thumb rest on the side of the neck/fretboard. The latter is popular with folks who have played guitar that way for a long time and many of them finally switch to the classical method for east of fingering.

I think you may have hit on what I'm doing wrong. My current hand position is such that the thumb is on the top side of the neck. So what I'm gathering here is that I need to rotate my hand to the right so that the thumb rests on back of the neck. Problem is that my wrist gets tired holding the resulting arch. I assume that will improve with practice.

It's important to relax your wrist and hand as much as possible, so that you don't cramp the muscles and your fingers remain nimble. Try to find a position where the wrist is relaxed and relatively straight. Sometimes this requires moving the elbow toward or away from the body. The headstock should be up near your shoulder.

Maybe you could post a photo of your left hand position. It might be easier to assess whether there's a different way you could hold your hand without muting the A string if we could see what you are doing now.

Maybe you could post a photo of your left hand position. It might be easier to assess whether there's a different way you could hold your hand without muting the A string if we could see what you are doing now.

Here are two pictures, both of them in the A-chord position. The first one is more comfortable, but the hand is touching the A-String, muting it. The second one does not touch the A-String, but the wrist arch is uncomfortable - pain in forearm.

I should add that I have relatively small hands. My middle finger is 2 3/4" long.

Ukulele Left Wrist-1.jpg

Ukulele Left Wrist-2.jpg

Oops, I just realized that's not an A-Chord in the second photo, but you get the idea :)

Last edited:
Here are two pictures, both of them in the A-chord position. The first one is more comfortable, but the hand is touching the A-String, muting it. The second one does not touch the A-String, but the wrist arch is uncomfortable - pain in forearm.

I should add that I have relatively small hands. My middle finger is 2 3/4" long.

View attachment 90796

View attachment 90797

Looks like you need to curl your hand/fingers more.
Put you arm to your side then pretend you are going to pick up a suitcase and make that shape with your left hand. You hand and fingers should have a pronounced curl.
Bring that shape up to your neck and use that shape to make your chords.
You can use the same shape with your right hand for better picking technique.
This is something I learned from classical guitar but can be used for the uke as well.

Your wrist is bent in a bad way in photo 2. Don't bend the wrist, curl the fingers.

Look at this video: His left wrist and forearm are parallel to the floor without a bend at the hand. He is curling his fingers and hand.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-pineapple-soprano.html
My two cents.

Last edited:
One thing you could do to avoid the bend at the wrist is push your elbow forward a bit. That'd straighten out the wrist and put more curl in the fingers.

One thing you could do to avoid the bend at the wrist is push your elbow forward a bit. That'd straighten out the wrist and put more curl in the fingers.

Thank you for that. At first it didn't make sense, but I've played with it some and it does help, especially with barre chords.

Another thing, because I'm slow in my thinking and didn't think of it until today, I've found sometimes that if I have trouble reaching a chord, lifting the neck makes it easier. I am not a static kind of person, and that neck goes up and down as I play the different chords. But I have found that no matter what I'm playing, if I let the neck get near horizontal, it is harder to play. Might try it and see.

Thank you for that. At first it didn't make sense, but I've played with it some and it does help, especially with barre chords.

You're welcome! I had a hard time figure out how exactly to say it. Especially because it seems a bit counter intuitive. But I've noticed that I get a better angle if I move the elbow out.

Top Bottom