Lessons, straps and strings

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had a gathering of uke playing friends at my house yesterday for a casual "kitchen jam". One of our gang brought along a friend we had not met before. She had be playing for two years and takes group lessons but has not made a lot of progress, not for two years of dedicated effort. She struggled with supporting the uke and forming chords, especially something like EM or Bb. Her instructor is dogmatic about always have your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck. The friend that brought her had been telling her we all play with straps and how much it helps, her strings were also two years old.

As is customary we all bring multiple ukes and it becomes a bit of a demo day. This person got to try ukes with straps, ukes in low G, different sizes, wood combos etc. Her eyes were really opened. I installed strap buttons on her uke, restrung her tenor with low G Oasis string and handed it to her. She was not only delighted but transformed, couldn't believe how good her uke sounded and how easy it was to play. She said she could now play a Bb no problem. We all explained that different instructors will push different beliefs or techniques and we have seen good players with there thumb sticking straight up above the fretboard, in the middle of the neck, slightly wrapped at the top etc. etc. The big thing for her was the strap, she was no longer struggling to support the uke. We got into jamming a bunch of song and she had a ball.

New people need to realize there is a lot of experimenting for yourself before you find out what works for you. Or the fast short cut is to ask a bunch of peoples advice from their experience............like right here. We are your new friends so ask away.

Great story Dave. I'm not sure why, but I've been wanting to enter the world of straps. I'm definitely a thumb sticking up/wrapped around the top and adjust for barre chords and I think a strap would be great. I'm always in Ontario and would love to play with you all some day.

Great story Dave. I'm not sure why, but I've been wanting to enter the world of straps. I'm definitely a thumb sticking up/wrapped around the top and adjust for barre chords and I think a strap would be great. I'm always in Ontario and would love to play with you all some day.

I love straps cause I need all the help I can get. We will definitely have to get together at some point. With the nice weather around the corner I am thinking of moving it to the backyard once a month. I will keep in touch with you

Great story. I always tell the beginning seniors in my uke class to join the local uke meetup group/club to see how others do it. I give them the fundamentals that work well for most, emphasizing it's not the only way. I preach comfort and having fun over rigid rules and provide them links to videos that show demonstrations from multiple sources which show not everyone does it the same way. The possibility of confusing them is outweighed by the message of flexibility in playing I think...if something isn't working, try a different way.

Couple of things struck me about this post Dave, first that you are very cool to have spread the wealth by...
I installed strap buttons on her uke, restrung her tenor with low G Oasis string and handed it to her.
and second that the poor lady showed incredible fortitude sticking with it for two whole years while she struggled with an approach that just didn't work for her.

I'm very curious to know where she progresses from here.

Great strory Dave. Thanks for sharing.
I am a strong proponent of straps. Even on my soprano.
There is so much more freedom when one uses a strap.

This is a great story!
Besides, straps can be stylish. Shopping for them is almost as much fun as shopping for a uke. There are many different styles, different materials, fabrics, whatever. I prefer mandolin straps.

this must be the only forum that i know where first advice to the beginners isn't.. "find a good teacher".. and i like it that way.. finding most chord just needs practice.. might have to move the fingers a little to find more suitable position.. chord change also just needs practice.. and uke leash helps to free up the fret hand a little.

Count me in as one with the Thumbs Up(!) sticking up over the top of the fretboard - I'm guilty of not anchoring it dead-center of the back.
I now have a couple ukes with straps and they're great/liberating/freeing. I now think "Why didn't I get them on every one I have ever bought?!"
Glad you helped her out!

Not a strap user myself, BUT...I agree with all of your post,
particularly regarding so called 'instructors' who insist that
everything must be done THEIR WAY or not at all!
I have run two Ukulele based music groups over the years,
and we have had people turn up with this albatross around
their neck. We would demonstrate simple ways to play what
look like complex chords (to newbies) and they were amazed
that they had wasted time (and effort) trying to do it the
'right way', as their instructor had showed them. People had
been obsessed with one particular thing,and they generally
came to realise, that it simply did not matter,so long as the
end result was good,and THAT THEY ENJOYED PLAYING!
Good points, well made Dave, this is what makes the ukulele
such a great instrument,and why people are drawn to it!

Great story. The wife and I are beginners. She is very much a how you're supposed to do it person. Me, aha, this works
Re straps..... I'm a little hesitant to put one on my 70ish yr old uke. Favilla Saprano.
I tried one that hooks in the sound hole. I don't like it as i tend to get a buzz on my A string from it.

Great story. The wife and I are beginners. She is very much a how you're supposed to do it person. Me, aha, this works
Re straps..... I'm a little hesitant to put one on my 70ish yr old uke. Favilla Saprano.
I tried one that hooks in the sound hole. I don't like it as i tend to get a buzz on my A string from it.

I have a few ukes that I have not drilled and screwed buttons on. I tie a piece of leather boot lace around the waist then loop the other end around the headstock. I use a cord lock (available at camping stores) at the headstock for easy length adjustment. See pictures

A great alternative is the Uke Leash, just google it. The owner is a member here and they are very popular. Some of my friends have them and I have tried them and it is a great product, attaches to the headstock. I find if the neck is supported then it makes playing so much easier. Your left hand is then free to form chords

20160503_102853.jpg20160503_103148.jpg

Last edited:
The only rule about Ukulele playing is that there is no rule. There are always better ways to play, but playing is the thing.

Just play.

Dave,

Very frustrating. I have found that a good teacher should recognize a students weakness and will do enough to keep them progressing. The more interested they are the quicker that they will learn IMHO. I can only imagine the criticism I would get for my thumb position!
Keep me in mind for future jams, I'd love to meet some Uke folks in the area.

Dave,

Very frustrating. I have found that a good teacher should recognize a students weakness and will do enough to keep them progressing. The more interested they are the quicker that they will learn IMHO. I can only imagine the criticism I would get for my thumb position!
Keep me in mind for future jams, I'd love to meet some Uke folks in the area.

No worries, I had you in mind for our next "backyard jam". Last one was just spur of the moment, gonna try to do a regular one. I will send out an email invite well enough in advance. Planning something around the first weekend in June.

No worries, I had you in mind for our next "backyard jam". Last one was just spur of the moment, gonna try to do a regular one. I will send out an email invite well enough in advance. Planning something around the first weekend in June.

Excellent! Thanks.

Good story. I use a strap sometimes, sometimes not. It just depends. So I'm neither for or against them. As far as everything else that you have brought up, my experience has been that the only bad habit is the one that doesn't work.

Good story. I use a strap sometimes, sometimes not. It just depends. So I'm neither for or against them. As far as everything else that you have brought up, my experience has been that the only bad habit is the one that doesn't work.

"The only bad habit is the one that doesn't work"...........that's brilliant Rolli and good words to live by.

I have a few ukes that I have not drilled and screwed buttons on. I tie a piece of leather boot lace around the waist then loop the other end around the headstock. I use a cord lock (available at camping stores) at the headstock for easy length adjustment. See pictures

A great alternative is the Uke Leash, just google it. The owner is a member here and they are very popular. Some of my friends have them and I have tried them and it is a great product, attaches to the headstock. I find if the neck is supported then it makes playing so much easier. Your left hand is then free to form chords

View attachment 90831View attachment 90832

I was pleased to see that Dave does not attach his strap behind the nut, but moves it up between the tuning pegs. I've tried the "behind the nut" method and find it interferes with first position chords.

Top Bottom