NUD: Kanile'a k-1 tenor satin

Martynas

Reaction score
Hello guys. A lot of you asked for nud after i get Kanilea so i just got it and im shocked.
First im really suprised that i got hard case with my kanilea so i wont need to spend extra 50-100 dollars for that.(he said he wont put any case with it)
About the uke its amazing! I really like the koa satin finish on this one. Usually k-1's koa is really light but this one is pretty dark and curly.
It feels weird to play it after my makala soprano tone is very deep, and there is no buzzing haha.
This isnt a review or something, i just wanted to inform that i got this beauty! Thank you all who helped me to decide and with ebay :):drool:
Ill put images when i get home becausr its complicated to do this on my android

Also i will buy new strings can you recommend which strings to buy?

It looks superb! Glad you enjoy it. :) This is probably the only uke you'll need for a long time!

yeah it is and the year it was made is 2014 and i didnt find any strach on it

Yes, nice.

Lovely! Happy ukulele!

Since selecting a string is purely objective you'll get a dozen different recommendations on string brands. Bottom line is you'll need to try several and take into consideration feel, tone and playability. Let your ear be the final judge. My go to set is Southcoast for my 8 string.

Congrats! That is particularly nice looking koa.

Wow, she's a beaut! Congrats! As for strings, I've found that Oasis Brights sound really good on a solid Koa ukulele. :shaka:

Okay, an acquaintance was given a very beautiful tenor by Mike Da Silva, an extraordinary instrument, but when he heard me playing my Kanilea K-1 tenor, with crummy old Aquila strings, he said, "Wow, that has beautiful tone!" And this guy's a major player.

You've got yourself a great instrument. I've had mine for seven years. Now I'm saving up for a Kanilea K1 baritone.
These instruments just have a buttery tone and in the scheme of things they're not that expensive.

Yes, there are K-2s and maybe K-3s but a K-1 is good enough. If you're a beginning ukulele player and you know you're going to stick with it and eventually become good, get a Kanilea right away and don't mess around with with buying four or five cheaper ones on the way up. You'll save money in the long run.

I know there are very nice Kalas, Ponos and Mainlands as well as others, but a K-1 is a great great ukulele for a relatively low price. A thousand bucks is cheaper than a three thousand dollar uke. I bought my K-1 for $800 something. What do they go for now? Seven years of hearing very beautiful tones is worth a lot.

P.S. Now use crummy old South Coast low g. Don't want to involve myself in the string wars.

Last edited:
Congrats! I love the wood, the grain, and the contrast are fabulous looking! Now, uke on!

Very nice looking Koa. Glad you found something you like. Enjoy.

Congrat's, very nice! Living Waters sound really good on my concert Kanile'a...

Congrats, I love my K1 but mine is the UV gloss. They make a great uke! If you love low G, get the Fremont Soloist polished wound (no noise moving across the string and it lasts a long time, plus great sound). I have D'Addario Titanium T2's on the 1-3rd string, Fremont for the 4th. Sounds fantastic. Enjoy it well!

Beautiful! My Kanile'a is my fave, no doubt about it.

It's strung with So. Coast low Gs as some others mentioned, but now I'm about to follow Chuck Moore down a Frankenset wormhole, mixing So. Coast basses with Oasis warm trebles (E & A). I would have done it sooner.... but I can't stand the idea of playing another uke during the day or two it takes the new strings to settle — I bet you'll have that same wonderful problem now!

Top Bottom