Making Friends through UU

Let me count the folks I have met in person -

Decaturcomp
Southside Mike
The Ukelites (a couple of times, and will be playing at their Uke Fest in about a week)
Peewee
Pueo
Gyosh
mmstan
Len
Andrew Kitakis
hendule
Mark Segelman
Kim Jorgensen

and I am sure I have missed some too. I travel a bit, so all of these folks are from out of town. Still hoping to meet up with PeaceTrain and others here in the Phoenix area.

So yes. And they are a wonderful group of folks. If good friends means people you really like, even if you only see them occasionally, then yes, in spades.

Let me count the folks I have met in person -

Decaturcomp
Southside Mike
The Ukelites (a couple of times, and will be playing at their Uke Fest in about a week)
Peewee
Pueo
Gyosh
mmstan
Len
Andrew Kitakis
hendule
Mark Segelman
Kim Jorgensen

and I am sure I have missed some too. I travel a bit, so all of these folks are from out of town. Still hoping to meet up with PeaceTrain and others here in the Phoenix area.

So yes. And they are a wonderful group of folks. If good friends means people you really like, even if you only see them occasionally, then yes, in spades.

It's about time you travel up north to Canada so you can add us to your list.

I always find it intriguing, in this age of the internet (forums, emails, Facebook), how we define "friends".

Someone who would help you select uke strings? Yes.

Someone who would loan you two-hundred bucks? Probably not.

Someone who can give you true and deep advice about your crumbling marriage? No.

;)

let me try this one....:)

Grennie44(Rick),MM Stan,Geetee(Greg),MDS725(Mark),Tigeralum(CJ and his family)Gyosh(Gary and his family),Chuck Moore(and Bonnie),Andrew Kitakis(and his family)Corey Fujimoto,Sarah and Craig(Chee),WickedWahine11(Staci and her Mom)Joshpoygi(Jason),Big Phil(and Jennifer),Kekani(Aaron Oya),Aaron at HMS,Eric DeVine,Pueo(Damon), Aldrine, Rick Turner(Compass Rose).Jake(Hive Ukulele)..many many more...and a whole bunch of people who if I ever meet will feel like I have known them forever.....Thanks to the UU...if someone gives me their time for a few minutes or a day I for sure call them friends....:)

Last edited:
I wish...........

I've met a few people here in Los Angeles who are on UU and even though I don't see them very often, I would consider them a friend just from the post interactions we've had. Sometimes I didn't even know their UU handle, like yesterday I found out who ShibaUke is, definitely a friend.

I'm a member of the Los Angelukes group, but there's never any activity. I was the last one to post there in August of 2013, the only other post was in 2009. I know, I'm going to treat that as Talk Bass does, strictly for listing purposes, which I'll show in my signature.

Last edited:
Freda and Sukie, Craig and Sarah, and Aldrine. I'd love to meet some more of you!
(Oh, and even though we haven't met yet, Stan, Kevin Keith, and Booii)

I have met quite a few folks from UU in person, my list is pretty similar to the lists Len(Hawaii50) and Rick(Greenie44) PLUS a whole boatload of folks I met at Ukulele World Congress, as well as some folks I have met at NAMM and some more folks I met at Mike DaSilva's shop in the Bay Area.
I would say many of those people I would call my friends, and yes I have even given some of them rides to/from the airport so definitely ticks the friend box.

I found out about my local Uke group, the Electric City Ukulele Club, from Fitncrafty, here on UU. It turns out she lives about 5 miles from me, and we met in person at the meeting, with more than a little trepidation for both of us, I'm sure. As the night was winding down, I mentioned that my wife had wondered if there was enough light to knit, and as Carrie's face lit up brightly, she said "I'm a knitter!"

My wife and I are now very close friends of Carrie and her family, and we've added some other knitters to the uke family, too.

(My wife takes great joy, when people ask how she met her knitting partner-in-crime, "Oh, my husband met her on the Internet.")

Locally, we've met Dick Adcock and his wife; Turtledrum came up from Long Island for the UOGB concert last year; I met BrUKEman at a local Uke fest, and over on the West Coast there are TCK and TCW, Gary, Doug, Craig & Sarah, Rick Turner, Mark, KevDog, Jim D'Ville, MusicGuyMic, UkuleleJay, and the many great folks I met at the Wine Country Uke Fest and UkuleleJay's Jam By The Bay, all of whose names I have forgotten...

I would, by the earlier definition, give rides to the airport to just about all of these people.

Heck, I'd lend money, or give a bottle of wine to several of them, too. (And have done so...)

Yeah, I've made some good friends here on UU.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Some of us in LA met up last year at Wirstkucke (german saugage and beer restaurant). It was fun. Im up for doing something again with anyone who is interested....

I met sam13 and Solorule on this site and then realized we lived fairly close to each other. There is a big healthy ukulele community in the Toronto Canada area so some people I meet at uke jams and I find out they are members of UU.

The ukulele community as a whole is very freindly and welcoming, both in person amd online. It has been great and really increased my circle of friends

Yes, that was a lot of fun. How's this for an idea; anyone that has become a member of a group, list it in your signature and add the link so more people have an opportunity to post and or join.

In Phoenix, I've met Uker Danno once to trade ukes. I met PeaceTrain at the Kimo Hussey class at ASU.
Also at the class, I met Nancy the leader of the Sun Lakes Uke Group and starting going there (though they wind down for the summer given the extreme heats here in PHX) - she's not on UU.
http://www.sunlakesukes.com/
I hope to meet some others like Greenie someday too.
I love the sense of community/openness of uke players!

Top Bottom