Real ukulele teachers???

charlotteh

Reaction score
I live in Atlanta, and it's a reasonably big area. There are lots of music resources here, but not so much for ukulele. Maybe there is and I just can't find it, but if that's the case then the reason I can't find it is that virtually everybody who teaches guitar claims that they teach ukulele. I sign up for lessons and the teacher is fabulous at guitar but he doesn't actually play ukulele. I even gave him one and after 5 months I can't tell that he has thought about the ukulele until its time for my lesson and then he just tries to focus his attention briefly on only 2/3 of his fretboard. Most of my progress has been self inflicted. My teacher is fabulous at being able to listen to a song and then identify the chord progression. Is this the best there is? Is this life for most everywhere? I'm trying to stop short of doing a rant here, but this to me is like someone saying that they teach violin because they play the cello. Anyone else find this situation in common?

I've had the exact same experience here in Cleveland! Here is what I've ended up doing. For general "uke" playing, like you, I'm learning on my own. Then I identified some specific goals I couldn't teach my self and found a teacher for them.

First, I wanted to learn how to comp jazz chords and do fills. So I went back to the guitar teacher and established that as a goal, and I seem to be making progress on that front.

Second, I switched a soprano to violin tuning and found an Irish Fiddle Teacher and now I'm learning Irish Fiddle tunes with proper ornamentation. The guy I'm leaning from is as excited about it as I am!

Actually you have a pretty poor teacher, guitar or otherwise. Unfortunately there are a lot of guitar teachers who merely transpose/tab songs because that is what their students want. Kids show up and want to learn this or that song and there is no theory. I hate to say it, but any guitar teacher who hasn't mastered the ukulele fretboard in 5 minutes is worthless.

Any competent guitar teacher can teach you chords, fingering, scales, etc. I will stop short of including strumming because I think ukulele strumming techniques would require some real expertise in that area. If nothing else, change teachers.

John

Yes, that has been the case for me as well. I've not taken any lessons, but I have talked to four or five guitar instructors who have jumped on the ukulele band wagon. In every case, it seems that they view the ukulele as a step to guitar. One in fact told me right out that I didn't really need to learn to play the ukulele first, that I could just start on guitar if I wanted. But in my search for a ukulele instructor, I got offered a job teaching ukulele. I found that interesting because I do not consider myself competent enough on the ukulele to teach others, and I'm not a real good teacher regardless. I know myself. I did express my misgivings, and they did not seem to be too concerned. Business is business you know. So that is something to be aware of as well. I mean, they were willing to hire me without a whole lot of credentials to back it up. I am not looking for a job, but someone else like me might be tempted. Beware, you don't want me being your ukulele instructor.

Last edited:
I take Skype lessons. With a real ukulele player/teacher. I started out 8 years ago with a local teacher. But she was a guitar player teacher. Then I switched to a different teacher -- same problem.

You might want to think about skype lessons. I think UU keeps a list.

Although I was classically trained in singing (my teacher wanted all his students to be performers at the Lyric Opera in Chicago) and I was also taught to play piano for a few years (stereotypical Asian family), my guitar and ukulele education was self-taught for years (along with several other instruments) and I mostly teach just ukulele since it's my preferred instrument. Yes, a lot of the guitar skill can transfer over, which is why a lot of guitar teachers are now teaching ukulele, but they also have different motivations in their teaching.

I checked the James Hill teachers directory to see if there were any instructors that were certified in your area, but it doesn't appear to be the case (http://www.theukuleleway.com/teacher-directory), but I'd say to go with Sukie's advice and find an instructor that can teach via Skype. Another possible idea is to go to your local ukulele group/circle and attend their ukulele jams. You might be able to find someone there that teaches ukulele exclusively or at least has a bigger passion for teaching it (and not look at the ukulele as another step to guitar playing).

For those who may want some assistance with teaching themselves, please feel free
to click on the Ukulele Boot Camp link in my signature below.

some have found the information helpful :)

keep uke'in',

I've never been to a ukulele teacher, per se, but I've worked with several guitar and keyboard professors over the years. When I picked up ukulele, it was an attempt to overcome a musical stagnation. I wasn't making any progress, and thought the change-up in instruments would help. I assumed, like many guitarists, that the ukulele is a smaller guitar with less strings. Over the years, I learned that it's definitely not true, but it was helpful at the time. And some of the techniques (not all, but enough) transfer without too much of a problem.

All that to say: a teacher should work with you specifically on what you want to learn. For example, if you want to specialize in a particular style of music, that should be your starting point. Or if you want to learn how to read music, that's another good starting point. If you want to learn the ukulele for the joy of ukulele, they shouldn't just assume you're using it as a shortcut to guitar. Also, their playing ability on your desired instrument should be greater than your own.

I know that there is a ukulele teacher certification program. They actually have a teacher directory. It may be helpful in finding someone who's qualified to teach you the ukulele locally.

I played guitar for almost 50 years when I took up the uke over 3 years ago. I haven't touched my guitars since and relegated them to the closet. I would think online lessons are be the way to go. The leader of our uke group/classes does Skype lessons. CaliRose.com

Last edited:
I see this problem a lot over here in the UK. Many pupils come to me after having had lessons from other teachers whom happen to mostly focus on guitar and think 'Advanced ukulele' constitutes being able to play C, F and G and little else. I'm sure there are some great teachers that do both guitar and ukulele but more often than not the ukulele part is a side project and they have very little proficiency. I won't get into specifics because it's very contentious but the students that I know came from guitar teachers picked up many bad habits right from the start i.e. playing the ukulele like a guitar.

It's an interesting subject. You only have to go to any ukulele event, or look at videos on here, and you will see loads of different ways of playing the ukulele. Any teacher can only teach you what they know themselves, and if you go to enough lessons they will probably teach you to play the way they play.
A few people have asked me "how do you strum like that?" and "what are those little notes you keep adding?" - I show them quickly and off they go to try it. I don't claim to be a teacher, but maybe I should? Other people I know have paid for lessons and come away drowning in theory, trying to fingerpick something by Mozart. Which is fine if you want to play Mozart, but not if you just want to strum without having DDUDUDD written in front of you.
I think with any teacher, you need to ask them what they will teach you, and tell them what you want to be able to do. If the two don't match, go to somebody else.

The other thing worth looking at is the experience and teaching skills of said teacher. How many students have they taught? What is their style? Like any profession, teaching isn't just being able to do something and showing somebody else. A good teacher is personable, a good listener, adaptable, patient, able to react to student's needs etc etc. These skills are often overlooked. A good player does not necessarily make a good teacher. I sometimes get offended (because I'm over sensitive) when these things are overlooked. Being able to look up symptoms on google doesn't make you a doctor. Being able to play well doesn't make you a teacher.
Caveat: I'm making these statements to help people looking for teachers. I'm not saying 'I' have all these perfect skills. I'm still learning after years.

I second the idea of talking to the folks at Uke Republic. Also consider attending a local uke jam (there must be several in a city the size of Atlanta) and see if anyone there knows uke teachers or is one. Uncle Rod is a good resource, and the people on the main UU site offer a wealth of videos for a very reasonable fee, and provide Skype sessions.

Many folks learn more with the teacher there in the room, of course (so long as the teacher is competent). So YMMV.

...A good player does not necessarily make a good teacher... Being able to play well doesn't make you a teacher...

This struck a chord in me; at a uke festival I attended a couple of years ago I took two workshops, both lead by very well known uke players (no names). The first I immediately realized did not know how to present to the group, went too fast, didn't engage the group, acted more like it was a performance than a workshop, basically showing off. The second was exceptional, it was very obvious that person took the time to prepare a presentation that would benefit the group, not them self. I made a point later in front of a food truck to compliment the second presenter, who was very grateful for the feedback.

I used to teach computers to individuals and I made it a point to know their skill level and approach them that way. I've seen too many times where a teacher only works from their own needs, rather than the student's needs.

Last edited:
The other thing worth looking at is the experience and teaching skills of said teacher. How many students have they taught? What is their style? Like any profession, teaching isn't just being able to do something and showing somebody else. A good teacher is personable, a good listener, adaptable, patient, able to react to student's needs etc etc. These skills are often overlooked. A good player does not necessarily make a good teacher. I sometimes get offended (because I'm over sensitive) when these things are overlooked. Being able to look up symptoms on google doesn't make you a doctor. Being able to play well doesn't make you a teacher.
Caveat: I'm making these statements to help people looking for teachers. I'm not saying 'I' have all these perfect skills. I'm still learning after years.

Matt is being modest. I can heartily recommend him. He has opened up my playing quite a bit. He is in England and I take weekly Skype lessons from him. I am extremely happy with him and plan on using him for a long time to come. If you have questions, PM me and I will be glad to tell you about this man and how he has improved my playing. I am one of the few people that did not come from a guitar background. I played guitar for a few months when I was a teen and nothing since, so I have learned what I learned on the Uke and have not had to convert my learning from the guitar.

Last edited:
A good guitar teacher should be able to teach ukulele. Unfortunately, most guitar teachers aren't very good at teaching guitar either.

In all honesty, there are online courses that are much better than a lot of local "teachers" and less expensive as well.

The two that immediately come to mind are the lessons available right here on the UU...

http://ukuleleunderground.com

...and of course, James Hill's Ukulele Way community.

http://www.theukuleleway.com

You can take advantage of both of these for less than what you would pay a local teacher, the lessons are available 24/7 so you can learn at your own pace and on your schedule, and you are literally learning from two of the best Ukulele players on the planet. Musicians for whom the Ukulele is their primary instrument, and not an afterthought.

Scooter

Thank you all for your responses. Obviously there is a business thing going on where music stores just want to exploit the ukulele wave. I didn't mention in my initial post that my ukulele is a baritone tuned dgbe, but still it says something that my teacher is using his guitar in my lessons. For the last two months I have felt adrift at sea with my practice.

Top Bottom