Low G string out of tune

jlfinkels

Reaction score
Complete newbie to uke, pretty good fiddle player so not new to music.

For grins I bought a wound low G for my tenor and found out when I put it on that if I tune the open string to the G dead on, the rest of the notes on that string are way sharp. Not just a bit, but very noticeably out of tune. I put the original high G back on and the notes are dead on all the way up the fret board.

I found if I tune the low G very flat I can pull the rest of the notes in tune, but then the G sounds out of tune, though not nearly as noticeable as when the open string was in tune and the rest of the notes on that string were way sharp.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe try a different string brand? Live with it?

How's the string fitting in the nut slot? Sometimes going from high to low G needs a minor adjustment to the nut IME.

How's the string fitting in the nut slot? Sometimes going from high to low G needs a minor adjustment to the nut IME.

It appears to sit a bit high, not laying completely into the slot like the high G string does.

And the fix is...

Have the nut slot filed?
Get a different string?

If a wound low G won't sit in the slot properly, the slot will need to be widened a bit. An unwound low G is even thicker.

Try opening the slot a tiny bit, i really mean a tiny amount, it's easy to open it a little wider but not so much if it gets too wide and starts to rattle.

It appears to sit a bit high, not laying completely into the slot like the high G string does.

On a chromatic tuner the Low G is G3 the others are C4, E4, A4. The low G is one octave down from the rest. Sounds like you might have tuned the low G to G4 and that is why the others are all sharp. Then you said if the C, E & A strings are in tune the low G sounds flat.

What is the brand of tenor uke and what woods for the top back and sides. It does take time for your ear to get accustomed to the low G sound, especially coming from high G for the very first time. It can sound, weird or off.

Last edited:
... An unwound low G is even thicker.

Not if you fit fluorocarbon strings. I fitted a Living Water Low G set to my Brueko concert and a Worth single low G to my Risa concert stick and they went on without the need to file the nut (or open out the hole in the Risa).

Not if you fit fluorocarbon strings. I fitted a Living Water Low G set to my Brueko concert and a Worth single low G to my Risa concert stick and they went on without the need to file the nut (or open out the hole in the Risa).

Most wound low G are around. 030" and most florocarbon low G are around. 035". So they may fit a specific uke or they may not. I know you know that it is just for the benefit of the OP who admitted to being new to the uke and low G

Last edited:
Like Tootler, I have Living Water Low G strings on my Kalas & Baton Rouge, plus, Aquila Red Low G string replacing High G Aquila Nylgut on Makala, & my RISA Solid.

None of which have needed any slot widening. :)

On a chromatic tuner the Low G is G3 the others are C4, E4, A4. The low G is one octave down from the rest. Sounds like you might have tuned the low G to G4 and that is why the others are all sharp. Then you said if the C, E & A strings are in tune the low G sounds flat.

What is the brand of tenor uke and what woods for the top back and sides. It does take time for your ear to get accustomed to the low G sound, especially coming from high G for the very first time. It can sound, weird or off.

I'll double-check the tuning of the low G again and make sure it is G3. Pretty sure that is what I tuned to but will check it again when I put it back on.

The uke is a Kanile'a K1-T SF. Don't know where it is in the lineage of uke's, but the store I bought it at in San Francisco had it on sale at what seemed a good price. No idea of the wood, but it sure sounds nice to my simple ear.

Thanks!

if I tune the open string to the G dead on, the rest of the notes on that string are way sharp.

I think he's talking about the G string being sharp as soon as he frets it, not compared to the other strings. I'd say it's most likely a setup issue.

I think he's talking about the G string being sharp as soon as he frets it, not compared to the other strings. I'd say it's most likely a setup issue.

That is correct. It is out of tune with itself on fretted notes.

I am not a professional builder or instrument repair person, but I have played instruments for a number of years and have messed with my own guitars, mandolins and ukes.

I wouldn't be surprised if you need to do a bit of saddle compensation in addition to widening the nut to make the low G play in tune all the way up.

Top Bottom