Tips for NUD post? Especially taking pics

bedweazel

Reaction score
Hello. I purchased a new ukulele this week and want to start a NUD thread. However, the pics I took don't do it justice. Do the fine folks here have tips to share?

I searched for a previous thread on this topic. If one exists, please share the link.

Thanks.
Jonathan

Are there any instructions that anyone can point me to to simply post pics.. I want to do a couple of reviews but am somewhat tech challenged. Quick learner though��

M3Ukulele: I find a separate photo host site like photobucket.com to be better than attaching directly through UU. Upload your pictures there and then link to them here using the image tool in the post editor.

bedweazel: are you asking how to take good pictures? Most reasonably modern cell phones can take perfectly adequate photos for posting online. What camera do you have?

bedweazel: are you asking how to take good pictures? Most reasonably modern cell phones can take perfectly adequate photos for posting online. What camera do you have?

Hello Jim. I have lots of technology options. I guess I'm wondering what kind of lighting is best, whether to use a light or dark background, etc.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

If I may make some suggestions:
1. Put the uke on a ukulele stand, on a table by a large window.
The window light will be your main light source but you will require some
more light coming from the opposite side of the window. To do this just get a large white card
or sheet of styrofoam and place it on a chair, or on the table, so the light that bounces off it
reflects back on the uke.
2. Sit down on a chair so you can brace yourself and camera on the chair back.
3. If you can't put a large sheet of backdrop paper behind the Uke (not many will have this) try and make
the room behind the uke as dark as possible.

Here are some photo that I took using a diffuse overhead flash.

P8200018-Web.jpgP8200027-Web.jpgP8200047-Web.jpg

PM me if you want any other advice.

The best advice I ever got about taking pictures is this-Use a stand for your camera, phone, tablet, and use the timer feature. With the camera stabilized then use the timer feature to take the picture. This way the camera has time to focus properly.

Photography is as much a skill as playing an ukulele. Find interesting angles, and work with the lighting. Dont use a flash right on the subject indoors, if you must use a flash bounce it in the ceiling instead.

You probably are over thinking it. I think most people just drop in to see what you've got, read what you think of it, & if interested go online to check it out.

As for lighting, nothing beats natural daylight.

For photographs, I use natural light coming in from the windows of my bedroom. Placing the uke directly on my bedspread makes a good backdrop. Be sure you don't get any harsh shadows, and avoid busy backgrounds which will only detract from the subject of your photos (your ukulele).

If you have an SLR, play with depth of focus for creative bokehs. And by all means, use your imagination with framing and focus. In other words, be daring, don't do what's already been done before, and don't overthink it.

Here are some quick snapshots I took using an old outdated cell phone to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about (posts #15 & 16).

Lastly, don't forget the other two equally important items in your NUD--the description/review itself, along with sound samples of your new uke.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I probably am overthinking it, but really appreciate the helpful suggestions. The sun hasn't been out in Philly all week so perhaps that is part of my problem. Yes, I'll blame the weather!

Not sure I'm up for a sound sample... I've only been playing 6 months or so. Pics will have to suffice until my skill level increases to something worth recording and posting online. I assumed I would get some grief about that though. :D

Thanks again all.
Jonathan

The sun hasn't been out in Philly all week so perhaps that is part of my problem. Yes, I'll blame the weather!

And it's not going to get any better tomorrow ;)

I'll throw in my 2 cents and agree with natural daylight is your friend. Sometimes a little extra light bounced off the ceiling finishes it off nicely. I wouldn't stress over it though. We just like to see uke pics.

Practice practice practice. The more ukes you buy, the better you'll get.

Don't get too worried. Decent light and a neutral background should do it for UU.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I probably am overthinking it, but really appreciate the helpful suggestions. The sun hasn't been out in Philly all week so perhaps that is part of my problem. Yes, I'll blame the weather!

Not sure I'm up for a sound sample... I've only been playing 6 months or so. Pics will have to suffice until my skill level increases to something worth recording and posting online. I assumed I would get some grief about that though. :D

Thanks again all.
Jonathan

I say go for it! I'm a self-taught hack but have done a few NUDs. You have a friendly and interested audience here.

Perfect thread for a newbie question: What does NUD stand for? Any other acronyms I should know?

IMG_3478.jpgFor photos, you can use a simple overhead light with diffused lighting. If you like taking photo's you can make your own light out of a painter''s light with those clamps from Home Depot with the big silver dish. You just tape Wax Paper over the front of the dish and you are all set! I use a CFL which doesn't get that hot. I'm actually moving to LED on all my lights, but it works perfect as you can see. No washed out look. I had black muslin under this uke but you can use the white board as previous posted as well.

Top Bottom