Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Just curious, should I change the strings on the bass?
When I bought this bass used in the 1980s the seller told me I should change them soon, they were not the newest anymore.

Well, I never did.

These strings are on the bass for at least 23 years now (the time the bass is in my possession).
What will new strings on the bass result in? Because actually I am pretty satisfied with the bass as it is right now!

You didn't play this bass very often in those 23 years, did you?;)

Well, not in the last 19 years. But the first 4 years I had it I was the bass player in several bands and have played it on many rehearsals and gigs (it was my only bass at that time).

Just curious, should I change the strings on the bass?
When I bought this bass used in the 1980s the seller told me I should change them soon, they were not the newest anymore.

Well, I never did.

These strings are on the bass for at least 23 years now (the time the bass is in my possession).
What will new strings on the bass result in? Because actually I am pretty satisfied with the bass as it is right now!

WOW. That's a very long time to play one set of strings. I'd probably go ahead and change them if it were my bass. Sure they've done great for a long time but really they won't be getting better.

Nice song btw.

WOW. That's a very long time to play one set of strings. I'd probably go ahead and change them if it were my bass. Sure they've done great for a long time but really they won't be getting better.

But why change them?
I really am not sure...

The strings sound good, they stay in tune... They are just fine.
I really can't complain about the actual strings.

But there must be a reason to change them more often than every quarter-century...

If they are not rusty or otherwise corroded and you like the sound, why not keep them?

I change my bass strings when I'm not comfortable with them any more or when they sound gets muffled or dead.

There is a way that keeps the strings longer alive: Boil them, so the dirt will be washed away in the water. But take destilled water, otherwise you'll get stains from the lime. And I've heard this tip only for bass guitar strings. I tried it once and heard no difference.

So I keep on changing strings, when I feel it's time to.

But why change them?

I only say change them because I have a habit of leaving strings on way too long. When I finally get a whim to change them I am always amazed at how much better it sounds. I then always swear to keep fresh strings on it in the future.

Then I let it sit.

I have had the same strings on my upright for a few years now but I really never play it other than at home anymore. If I had a gig I'd definitely change them.

Same attitude applies to my electrics and g-tars.

For that matter, I bought new uke strings a month ago and still haven't put them on.

So, in my experience of letting them sit too long, I find that fresh strings are awesome.

That's my 3 cents worth.

Keep the birdies jumpin.
:shaka:

Top Bottom