Why I love my plastic uke

cml

Reaction score
My lovely wife gave me a Korala PUC-20 for my birthday six weeks ago. It's easily been my most played uke since, as it sounds pretty good actually and is very durable. That comes in handy when you have a 1 year old or when you are making trips like below.

A plastic uke is good and so is life.

Attachments

• 20160506_180018.jpg
    20160506_180018.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 20160506_175947.jpg
    20160506_175947.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160506_175928.jpg
    20160506_175928.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160506_175849.jpg
    20160506_175849.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160506_105018.jpg
    20160506_105018.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
My wife has a Waterman and my son has a Bugsgear plastic uke. We take them everywhere and don't have to worry about them. Each time I play them I am amazed at how well they play for what they are.

Sorry for the sideways photos, cant fix that on my phone.

Are these good for taking on a boat or at the beach? Can you hose them off?
I've got a nice Pano tenor and am thinking about picking up a plastic version for my trip to Florida next month.

I've got a lot of time for plastic ukuleles, I like the projection that you get from them and so far the ones I've tried have all sounded pretty good too.

Enjoying my Waterman uke, it's just fun.....actually been playing it more since I replaced the stock strings with Martin's. Enjoy!

Love my non wooden Blackbird Clara. Also love my Bugsgear Aqualele - it lives in the van.

I have both the Outdoor Ukuleles - tenor and soprano. They're great for what they are. Yours looks great. Nice improvised strap too! Looks lovely there

I have one of the Korala plastic ukes. They are useful as car ukes or for the beach and just generally for playing in locations where you wouldn't want to take a regular wooden uke.

I was out test driving Friday and was surprised with the Mahalo plastic uses... Tempted.

I did did find a very nice used little Terrapin case at MGR where my Outdoor Ukulele now lives.

And... FRIDAY NIGHT: I played my Outdoor uke at a Columbus Folk Music Society party. I entered a Worst Song In The World contest, did not win, but sang out the How To Treat Elves by Morris Bishop poem in C, with a short Over The Rainbow break, and wrapped up with a rollicking Mama Don't Allow.

Sonically the Outdoor Ukulele is fair, but I noticed I had some clear strings on it, that felt goosey and over drove easy. I might restring with some stiffer Aquilas.

Since this was a folk music function, I put a ptouch sticker on it that said This Machine Swats Flies as a parody of Woody Guthries guitar and Pete Seegers banjo with their This Machine... statements.

Has anyone else tried one of these? A Macaferri Islander Arthur Godfrey model.
Macaferri Islander.jpg
I don't own this one, but it was in an antique store down the street.

I've read that the Macaferri's a very nice uke but haven't owned one :) I have many plastic ukes and so far I think the best are the Kealoha from Amazon and the Bugsgear. I kept one Bugsgear outside for a full year in all weather from 90 degrees to however low it got in the winter snow and ice and she still plays nice. The Outdoor Tenor is very nice but clicky when strummed with your nails. I got used to the sound and the intonation is quite nice. I keep that one next to my living room chair.

And... FRIDAY NIGHT: I played my Outdoor uke at a Columbus Folk Music Society party. I entered a Worst Song In The World contest, did not win, but sang out the How To Treat Elves by Morris Bishop poem in C, with a short Over The Rainbow break, and wrapped up with a rollicking Mama Don't Allow.

We were there for a short while on Sat morning! Caught an awesome banjo demonstration/concert. I wish I'd heard you too! Not much uke action that I noticed. We had to leave early because of toddler (and mama) nap time.

20160723_144532_HDR_resized.jpg
From last weekend at a friends lakeside cabin:D, the best uke is the one you take with you!

cml's ukulele is getting out and about to scenic places more than I am. Can I be jealous of a ukulele?

I was out test driving Friday and was surprised with the Mahalo plastic uses... Tempted.

Mahalo plastic uke? That sounds intrrestinf--but based on my experiences with other Mahalo products, I would be skeptical buying one.

I have a clear Waterman that I love. It isn't a perfect sound, but it's fun to play. I work at a children's library and I've brought it along to programs and story times to play for/with the kids and they think it's the coolest thing!

Top Bottom