Uncle Rods Boot camp, question?

Santa

Reaction score
Feel a bit dumb having to ask this.

Uncle Rods Boot Camp, practice sheets, there are chords with what looks like a degree symbol after them, sheet 1 C°, sheet 2 F°, sheet 3 G°' with most of them the fingering looks quite complex.

Can someone help:confused:

Cheers,

Santa.:eek:

Thanks for the reply ukulele.

Obviously the Boot Camp assumes prior musical experience, way above my head.:confused:

Right? A lengthy response that is probably very correct.
Yet, gets a long blank stare from beginners.....
Don't take it as a coMplaint or insult.
But.... What

Hmmmm, most unfortunate, new member asks a straight forward question in a beginners forum and manages to ruffle feathers, is this par for the coarse here.:rulez:

I believe this is "diminished" - so the C"o" is Cdim or C diminished - played 2323. Honestly you won't run into those very often in most popular songs.

Maybe it's just me, but....I always felt that while it's great to know those diminished chord (and I love their unique sound), they seem a little too hard for absolute beginner exercises. I'd love to see a more basic version included in boot camp, starting a beginner with practice progressions in the most common keys only and using just your more basic chords. Once a beginner got those under their belt, they could move on to the current version of boot camp with the fancy 4 finger chords. This is not intended as a knock on boot camp, I think it's a great practice tool (I, myself, am still using it and working on smoother transition with diminished chords). Just saying...

When someone takes the time to provide information is always appreciated.
It was just way to complex of an answer that beginners didn't understand.

I do know what Cdim is and now know what Co is.

Hmmmm, most unfortunate, new member asks a straight forward question in a beginners forum and manages to ruffle feathers, is this par for the coarse here.:rulez:

Not at all. :)

Everyone here tries to help newbies, they helped me gain confidence enough to post videos! :D

Sorry, Fellow Ukers :(

I really do appreciate the feedback.

for now, line 2, can be skipped over, as it is very similar to line 1, with just more complicated chords :)
That way you will have a 4 line basic Practice Sheet that can be expanded to a 5 line Sheet when you feel
ready for it.

perhaps it's just me, but I find many places where the diminished chords may be added to enhance
background support of the melody line.

my reason for adding in the diminished and minor 6th chords was to sneak some 'complicated' and
'difficult' chords in early so there's less stress as one progresses in their uke playing. Of course it
does add stress in the beginning - sort of like 'Boot Camp', get it? :)

again, if line 2 causes too many problems, feel free to skip it until you find you need to work on
those chords.

keep uke'in' everyone :)

That's kind of what I always thought too... the full Boot Camp sheet is great if you're not exactly a beginner/more of an intermediate player.

But for absolute beginners, the first row on each Boot Camp sheet is great; that's all you really need when you're just starting out.

I would yellow highlighter those rows / increase the Font Size / if I were passing the Boot Camp out to a brand newbie.

Maybe it's just me, but....I always felt that while it's great to know those diminished chord (and I love their unique sound), they seem a little too hard for absolute beginner exercises. I'd love to see a more basic version included in boot camp, starting a beginner with practice progressions in the most common keys only and using just your more basic chords. Once a beginner got those under their belt, they could move on to the current version of boot camp with the fancy 4 finger chords. This is not intended as a knock on boot camp, I think it's a great practice tool (I, myself, am still using it and working on smoother transition with diminished chords). Just saying...

I have to disagree: dim7 may be a four-finger shape, but it's much easier to form than, say Eb or (for many folks) even Bb. It practically falls under the fingers; you just have to cross the ring finger in front of the middle one. And it's also a fairly vital chord: for other "hard" chords you can usually substitute more familiar major, minor or 7th chords, but when a song calls for the ambiguous dim7 sound, no other chord will do. 6 and m7 chords (which, coincidentally, use the same shapes) are bigger finger-twisters, but they're among the most common color chords, and I applaud Uncle Rod for not shying away from them, since they're so characteristic to the sound of many common progressions.

Thanks for chiming in again Ukulele, after deleting your original post thought you had picked up your ukulele and gone home.:rolleyes:

Sadly once again your response is way in advance of anything this old and feeble beginners mind can utilize.;)

Just play the first row of each sheet if you're starting out. Get really familiar with those switches in/out of them. Do those until you can do them in your sleep. I swear that'll cover 80% of the chords you'll see in popular music.

Thanks for chiming in again Ukulele, after deleting your original post thought you had picked up your ukulele and gone home.:rolleyes:

Sadly once again your response is way in advance of anything this old and feeble beginners mind can utilize.;)

Top Bottom