NUD: Collings UC2-KSB

bedweazel

Reaction score
This is my first NUD thread and I want to thank everyone who responded to my earlier thread about NUD post tips and taking photos. Also thank you to everyone who contributes to making this a great resource for new players. Here I go…

I wasn’t *looking* for another ukulele (I’ve read that on here before), but followed a link in a previous thread to Acoustic Music Works and their stock of Collings ukuleles. I understood from my time as a lurker on this forum that Collings is great maker. My heart leapt out of my chest at the sight of this baby and ended up purchasing it. I love it.

IMG_3770.jpgIMG_3772.jpgIMG_3773.jpgIMG_3774.jpg

I have one other concert as well as a tenor and a soprano. I’ve learned that the concert is my size, but there still is a place in my life for the other two sizes. My other concert is a Martin C2K.

I was concerned that the new Collings would sound exactly the same as the Martin due to the same size and tone wood (koa). Nothing could be further from the truth. The Martin is brassy and loud which is I think their signature sound. It is wonderful and sounds very much like how I thought a ukulele should (probably since it was my first). The Collings is mellow and smooth sounding. I really like the contrast. I’ve already started playing different songs on each depending on the sound I think is appropriate. The lower volume I experience with the Collings probably has more to do with me playing it more tentatively since it is new. That will certainly change.

The build quality of Collings is top notch. I’m not surprised that the instrument is a work of art. The flamed grain in the koa wood reminds me of tranquil, rippling water. The sunburst finish dramatically enhances this beautiful grain pattern.

The playability is different than I’m used to with the Martin. The Collings seems to have higher string tension that requires more finger pressure to fret. I am still building strength in my fretting hand so the tension will take the most getting used to. The radius fret board means I have to slightly adjust how I barre chords as well. My Pono tenor also has a radius fret board, but I don’t play it frequently.

Overall, it looks and sounds wonderful and I look forward to many happy years of learning and playing.

From one Collings owner to another, congrats! I absolutely love, love, love mine. And I wouldn't mind having a UC2/UC3 KSB to make a gorgeous pair!!!

Congrats from another Collings owner to another!

I have the UC3K Concert and Tenor as well as a custom Collings 00 Rosewood/Spruce Finger Style 12 fret guitar. They are awesome.

Welcome to the family!

Last edited:
Wow...that one is just a darling! Big little Collings congrats!!

I am new here, new to ukulele's, but not new to Collings. I love the perfection and beauty of their instruments.

I to decided quickly the concert is my size too...even though many guitarist prefer the tenor.

I love that Koa Sunburst!! Congratulations again & enjoy~

"The Collings seems to have higher string tension that requires more finger pressure to fret. I am still building strength in my fretting hand so the tension will take the most getting used to."

I should have added to my post, that I for one did not like the stock strings. I found them to be too high in tension. I switched mine to Southeast Light Mediums and it sounds absolutely fantastic. They are lower tension and sound much better to my ears. The only thing I'm not sure about is in the most recent Southcoast strings I acquired for other instruments, I did not care for the new A string. I found it too thin and lacking volume. So, the other string I would likely try for the Collings would be Oasis Brights ("stoopid" name -- they are not bright).

Eddie

Fabulous looking Uke, congratulations on your new purchase ... wow!

Wow- what a looker! Easy to see why you fell for it :drool: Enjoy it much.

Thanks, Everyone!

I should have added to my post, that I for one did not like the stock strings. I found them to be too high in tension. I switched mine to Southeast Light Mediums and it sounds absolutely fantastic. They are lower tension and sound much better to my ears. The only thing I'm not sure about is in the most recent Southcoast strings I acquired for other instruments, I did not care for the new A string. I found it too thin and lacking volume. So, the other string I would likely try for the Collings would be Oasis Brights ("stoopid" name -- they are not bright).

Eddie

And thanks for the suggestions, Eddie. I've thought that it would be beneficial to try different strings. I don't want to change the sound, but lower tension would be great.

Thanks, Everyone!

And thanks for the suggestions, Eddie. I've thought that it would be beneficial to try different strings. I don't want to change the sound, but lower tension would be great.

Another proof that everyone wants something different. :) I like the Savarez on mine but ordered some Worth Clear CD's because I want higher tension.

Still lovin' that sunburst on that Koa!!

On my UC3K, I use a wound C from Southcoast. Made a huge difference if you play solos and like sustain on that 3rd course. Better tone as well compared to a fluro. I wish mine was sunburst, that is awesome looking.

Wow, that's gorgeous!

I think that Collings Koa Sunburst is as nice as it gets. Very dramatic contrast without being overdone. Your biggest decision now is to play it or gaze at it. :drool:

That really is a spectacular Uke and you photographed it well. I see you used a window as illumination.

Nobody does a burst like Collings...beautiful...I also like the one piece top and back.

Top Bottom