NUD Kamaka 100th anniversary baritone

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I received this Kamaka baritone Wednesday of this week. I had posted about getting it in the thread " Did you get your Kamaka...." but wanted to include some pictures, thoughts and a sound sample. I got this from HMS and they are the greatest

This is my first Kamaka and I am impressed, it is a very light build which is good. As should be expected the workmanship is all top quality and it feels great to hold and play. The balance is so good you don't notice holding it whether standing or sitting, it's effortless. The nut width is 1-1/2", I didn't know that until I started playing it.

I really like the sound........once I changed the strings. I do not like nylon strings at all so the black ones had to go. Here is a quick sound sample recorded straight from my phone.....raw and unedited

https://app.box.com/s/f6rpkjppy274ktmjwxxbk2m2qgmxzlzd

outside front.jpgheadstock right.jpgheadstock left.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on an awesome uke! Love that Baritone headstock with the 100-year scroll. Nice photos too! :cool:

Hey Steedy.........you didn't have to flip these pictures around for me:shaka: Thanks bra

Here is a comparison photo of my Pono baritone and the new Kamaka. Kamaka does have a bigger body, both wider, longer and deeper

Pono vs Kamaka.jpgindoor front.jpgFront left.jpg20160505_070248.jpg

Last edited:
Niiiiiiiice

Sounds, and looks, wonderful!

Congrats. I just recently had my first experience with a 1.5 nut. What is your impression of the larger nut size?

Hey Buddy,

So glad you purchased this ... I know you won't mind me telling everyone that I was hot to buy this even after my Kamaka purchase ... so its best it came to Canada, eh?!

The new strings sound really great.

If you don't have a Kamaka ... and perhaps a newer one ... the sound is so centred, rich and full ... the craftsmanship is excellent. And LOUD!

I think now I need one ... lol.

Congrats. I just recently had my first experience with a 1.5 nut. What is your impression of the larger nut size?

I am not a fan of 1-1/2" nut width. This is the only instrument I have with it and it does make some chords and changes more difficult. If I knew before hand I might not have bought. But I am glad I did buy it because the sound is everything I want in a baritone.

Congratulations, my friend! What a nice way of celebrating the history of a great company and your love for the ukulele. The sound sample is awesome. What are the strings you are using on it now?

Congratulations, my friend! What a nice way of celebrating the history of a great company and your love for the ukulele. The sound sample is awesome. What are the strings you are using on it now?

Thanks so much Rainer. I am a string geek and experimenting nerd. My Gianinni was a test bed for strings and here is the combo that I now have on my three baritones. I take the wound 4th & 3rd from D'addario Titanium baritone set and pair them with the 1st & 2nd floro carbons from Martin baritone set. The D'addario wounds are very well balanced and deep sounding. The Martin floros are the thinnest .021 & .026 and brightest baritone strings I have found and they pair together very well with the wound D'addarios.

I play chord melody, fingerpicking and straight strumming songs. Strumming stuff for Eagles, Neil Young, John Denver, Blue Rodeo etc can sound muddy and dull on baritones but the bright Martin floros give it enough chime to be pleasing to my ears. I like them but it is all personal preference. Sorry for the novel but I get excited talking about strings.........I need to get a life;)

Last edited:
Congrats Dave! In my browser bookmarks, I only have one bari bookmarked - a Kamaka. Amazing sound. With koa and the bigger sizes something magical happens, especially the way Kamaka does it.

Thanks for the comparison photo and sound sample. You and Simon will enjoy those fine instruments.

Nice, Dave. Enjoy!!!

Very nice sound Dave, I am definitely going to have to try this baby when i come see you next. How does the Kamaka compare to the Pono?

WOWZZER, nice uke. The sound has a lovely rich deep tone, yet maintains it's...uke-ness(?)!

Thank you to everyone for the nice comments. HMS did their usual excellent job with set up and the installation of a LR Baggs pick up. This is my third uke with the LR Baggs and they really are great, a good natural sound.

Here is a sound sample of some strumming pieces, again just straight into the phone raw and unedited

https://app.box.com/s/w32tq0xupmamr1ilk57o3uzraex0p9vl

Top Bottom