Darken Brazing Repair on Brass Reso Uke

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I recently acquired a customized Goldtone Concert resouke with what appears to a braising repair that will not darken along with the brass. I have considered Rub N' Buff Spanish copper, but am concerned about it's durability. The repair is "rougher" than the brass uke and would accept the product. The luthier that did the repair is deceased and I'm unable to determine what kind of brazing rod he likely used to determine if there is another chemical that would turn it brownish.
Anyone ever encounterd such an animal? I am great for asking questions about things that no one has encountered before.

Last edited:
I've had success darkening brass banjo bracket shoes and tension hoop with Gun Blue by Birchwood Casey.The more you apply the darker it gets, but I think they do other products which might make it darker still.(Brass Black)
P1000586.jpg

Thank you so much, That reminded me that they make "Browning" for antique gun finishes. Worth a try even though I'm not sure what the brazing material is. I have some blueing, maybe a combination will be needed. Either way, if they work on the braze, better than Rub N' Buff. You can see by the picture it's a pretty rustic "aged" finish....should make it easier.

Thanks, I will check that out. I just wish I knew what brazing rod was used so I could be sure what would darken it without spending any money on products that may not work. Someone should know what is normally used to braze brass.

Now that you've piqued my old brain I remember seeing this in one of my lapidary catalogs. Thank you very much. I hope my library has one.

Judging by the grey color, I'm guessing that it's silver solder. It will darken over time but not to the same color as old brass.

Yes, I've about concluded it is likely either silver solder or silver (56%) braising rod and am trying to find something what will get the job done. Looks like I may have to settle for more black than brown.

I have a confession, it actually hasn't arrived yet and I'm heading out to grandkids graduations. If it's soldered, it's probably silver solder. The luthier that did it can't tell us. Be a few weeks before I solve it. I've worked on guns, gemstones, and silver jewelry, so I'll get it sorted out somehow.

Top Bottom