U Bass

chena

Reaction score
:anyone: I would like to know which is better for the U Bass....the rubber strings or the flat strings????? suggestions please. Also which one would you all consider to be the best deal for the best money..????? Thanks
Chena

Can you post a link to the two different types you are talking about? I know about the rubber but not the flat.
I am looking at the Ubass now. Looks like a fun instrument...but I would need to buy a bass amp too.
1st world problems suck!

For sure the best deal for the money by far are the Rondo bass ukes, http://www.rondomusic.com (in the search, type bass uke).

What are flat strings?

There are basically two versions of bass uke strings, fat poly and metal round wound nylon core. On the poly side Aquila makes the Thundergut off white used by many bass uke manufacturers, and they also make a bit thinner version called Thunder Reds.

Kala uses Road Toad black Pahoehoe (pronounced pah-ho-eh-ho-eh) which also come in bright red, bright yellow and bright green directly from Road Toad. They also use Rumblers, but I don't know anything about them.

The metal wound are made by Pyramid, but recently Kala put out a version that are a bit thicker and less costly than Pyramids. I have a couple of sets of Kalas and like them, but they're noisy because of the round wound metal.

The problem with Aquila Thunders is they're sticky, which also causes more finger noise. They also sausage, they get dents where they hit the frets, but Aquila just sent me a set of Thunderguts with a new formula that's supposed to fix those problems. I'm going to test them tonight after my gig today.

I like the Pahoehoe, they'e very smooth, but they take longer to settle into tune than the Thunderguts.

Last edited:
I just tested the new formula Thundergut strings, no doubt they're smoother than before, not quite as smooth as the Pahoehoe, but much better than the previous formula. I still need to work with them more, but so far I really like them.

Personally I don't think there is a "best" choice - it's a lot of personal preference in that word.

And you might consider lurking a bit in the UU Bass forum for additional advice;)

bass thread definitely. rondo music has the hadean omega series, best bang for the buck. me personlly i would go with fretless due to lack of saddle adjustability. in fact i defretted my olympic white sub.

i still have the factory thunderguts, they've sausaged a bit. i have a set of pahoehoes waiting to go on...

rondomusic.com search for 'bass uke'

Well that's exactly why I need help.......maybe there are no flat strings. There is so much contravercy about what kind of strings I am thoroughly confused. Rubber strings, wire strings , what brand???? I checked out the Hadean U Bass site and doesn't look bad for the price. Any thoughts?????
Chena

thanks for your suggestions and reply, I will check out the rondomusic site.....
Chena

thank you....I will do just that.....appreciate the advise..........
chena

Well that's exactly why I need help... maybe there are no flat strings. There is so much contravercy about what kind of strings I am thoroughly confused. Rubber strings, wire strings, what brand???? I checked out the Hadean U Bass site and doesn't look bad for the price. Any thoughts?????
Chena

I absolutely suggest you go with one of the Rondo bass ukes, I really like the look of a couple of them, and for the price, they're really good. About your dilemma with the strings, I think you're looking at standard bass strings since you mention flat (the proper term is flat-wound) but those are not for bass ukes. You have three choices, I prefer the Road Toad Pahoehoe poly strings (black, red, green or yellow), the Kala metal round wound have been good on my custom acoustic bass but a lot of finger noise on my solid body Rondo. The off white Aquila Thundergut have been my least favorite and I don't use them, but the new formula version I'm testing from Aquila are certainly better and I plan on using them on my next Rondo solid body mod.

thank you....I will do just that.....appreciate the advise.......... chena

Chena, when you reply to a specific post, click the Reply With Quote button to include the post you're replying to.

another vote for Rondo...

I got a Zebra wood acoustic and the Sunburst solid-body versions last year, including shipping, both together were still less expensive than a single version from Kala, Goldtone or Ohana, and while they may not have the build quality of those other brands, the Hadean Rondo uke bases have cured my desire for a uke bass, which I only use at home for songwriting and recording purposes.

As far as strings go, the main point of these basses was the Pahoehoe polyurethane strings, or Aquila Thundergut or ThunderReds when they first came out, and these strings NEED to be much fatter to have enough tension to be able to play at all at the significantly shorter scale lengths.

Previous to the Road Toad invention of the 'Bufo' bass, which was later licensed by Kala and became the 'U-Bass', the 'short scale bass' was sort of standardized at 30" scale length...so new strings had to be invented or found.

As kohanmike says above, if your want roundwound strings, and to have a feel and sound like a larger scale bass, Kala and Pyramid are the only options currently.

La Bella used to create and sell both white and black tapewound strings for the uke bass, but they suffered terrible intonation problems, and due to lots of complaints, were taken off the market as far as I can tell, since I cannot find them for sale anywhere since about a year ago.

Last edited:
Just out of total curisoity, what books would you use to help with playing a u-bass? Are there specalist books(for the u-bass) out there or just buy a normal bass book?

Buying and learning the u-bass is one of my ukulele aims. But not yet as I want to improve on a normal ukulele.

Just out of total curisoity, what books would you use to help with playing a u-bass? Are there specalist books(for the u-bass) out there or just buy a normal bass book?

Buying and learning the u-bass is one of my ukulele aims. But not yet as I want to improve on a normal ukulele.

A U-Bass or UKE BASS is tuned to the exact same EADG notes as an electric bass, or upright bass, so you cold use literally ANY book for BASS.

The only thing UKE about a U-Bass type instrument is that it is sized somewhere near a baritone uke, and might fit in a baritone uke case, but aside from that it is completely a BASS in every other sense.:)

A U-Bass or UKE BASS is tuned to the exact same EADG notes as an electric bass, or upright bass, so you cold use literally ANY book for BASS.

The only thing UKE about a U-Bass type instrument is that it is sized somewhere near a baritone uke, and might fit in a baritone uke case, but aside from that it is completely a BASS in every other sense.:)

Thank you for taking your time to reply. I will use this advice in the future if I ever buy a u bass

the hal leonard series books with included discs is really good and really affordable, especially if you want to learn to read music.

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy---Use/dp/0793563836

otherwise since bass is mostly single note at a time you should work on playing by ear, any melody you can think of, and also start paying more attention to bass when listening to the radio.

Great suggestions. I work on ear training while watching TV. Commercials and background music in the programs provide great opportunities to work on developing your listening skills and push you into unfamiliar music.

the hal leonard series books with included discs is really good and really affordable, especially if you want to learn to read music.

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy---Use/dp/0793563836

otherwise since bass is mostly single note at a time you should work on playing by ear, any melody you can think of, and also start paying more attention to bass when listening to the radio.

Top Bottom