Collings orders

RLM3121

Reaction score
I check with a Collings dealer today about ordering a Collings concert. He checked with the factory and told me that Collings was not taking any new orders. Apparently they have slowed production way down an have a large order file. He said they have introduced some new guitars and have shifted priorities. Collings builds a great ukulele and I hope they continue to produce them. I guess time will tell.

I thought Collings was a Guitar Company first and did the ukes on the side....their Guitars are very nice and sought out by great players.....

This happened before - a couple of years ago. They stopped making ukes for, I believe, more than a year. Then they started up again, although the new ones were quite a bit more expensive than before.

Sure am glad I have one!

From what I've heard, they're limiting production and not taking orders on custom Ukes. Contact customer service to confirm. They're very responsive.

Definitely some good dealers out there with nice Collings inventory.

I check with a Collings dealer today about ordering a Collings concert. He checked with the factory and told me that Collings was not taking any new orders. Apparently they have slowed production way down an have a large order file. He said they have introduced some new guitars and have shifted priorities. Collings builds a great ukulele and I hope they continue to produce them. I guess time will tell.

here is one from HMS if you are interested...as custom as you can get....

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/collings/collings-concert-uc2-spruce-rosewood-u1576.html

I love Collings instruments, but I'm sort of tired of the company "threatening" (too strong a word, I know) to cease ukulele production. It feels like the third iteration of this.

They sold an awful lot of ukes a few years back by letting everyone know they were pretty much done making ukuleles ("get them while you can"), yet they kept putting them out. I guess we'll see.

I love Collings instruments, but I'm sort of tired of the company "threatening" (too strong a word, I know) to cease ukulele production. It feels like the third iteration of this.

They sold an awful lot of ukes a few years back by letting everyone know they were pretty much done making ukuleles ("get them while you can"), yet they kept putting them out. I guess we'll see.

I can't speak to the prior situation, but at least this time they have not said they're ceasing uke production. They've said they're limiting production and not taking orders for customs.

Collings has never "stopped" making uke's and is not intending to stop. They did stop taking orders to catch up on the back log of special custom ordered uke's. They are trickling out again with standard models and less options. :)

Collings has never "stopped" making uke's and is not intending to stop.

My point exactly. However, my buddy who is a Collings dealer will tell you they have indicated otherwise on more than one occasion, creating a "run" (so to speak) on their ukes.

Ha, that's one heck of a sales gimmick. I wonder how many times it'll work.

Ha, that's one heck of a sales gimmick. I wonder how many times it'll work.

Ummmm....Don't think Collings needs a "sales gimmick". ;) Their quality and service speak for themselves.

Like was said earlier, they are getting their hands expanding in other areas. Waterloo guitar line and in house made guitar cases. Also, they do not want to get too big. A quality that I like.

Don't be raggin' on my Collings~ :love:

Ummmm....Don't think Collings needs a "sales gimmick". ;) Their quality and service speak for themselves.

Like was said earlier, they are getting their hands expanding in other areas. Waterloo guitar line and in house made guitar cases. Also, they do not want to get too big. A quality that I like.

Don't be raggin' on my Collings~ :love:

Here, here! ;-)

Furthermore, Collings could quadruple their ukulele sales and it would still be a small fraction of their overall revenue. Point being, such a sales gimmick would have little financial "benefit." The simple fact of the matter is there is a more revenue dollars and profit dollars in guitars.

Here, here! ;-)

Furthermore, Collings could quadruple their ukulele sales and it would still be a small fraction of their overall revenue. Point being, such a sales gimmick would have little financial "benefit." The simple fact of the matter is there is a more revenue dollars and profit dollars in guitars.

Very true. I suppose cost and pricing are reasons why the Santa Cruz Guitar Company stopped making ukes. Was it Rick Turner that said "ukes are three quarters of the work of a guitar for half the money"?

As I stated earlier, I love Collings instruments - I think they are among the finest in the business. I own a Collings I-35 that I bought in 2009, and my #1 acoustic is a Collings D2HBA I bought brand new back in 1997. I have owned several other Collings as well, including a tenor uke.

And I agree that Collings doesn't need/use sales gimmicks. That said, it is a FACT that, over the past several years, Collings indicated to their dealers on more than one occasion that ongoing new uke production was tenuous. They have often complained that ukes take as much time to build as guitars, but sell for considerably less. As a result, precious resources were being allocated toward a very low margin product (resulting in the recent price increases in their ukes).

So - what happens as a result? Collings dealers and their salespeople start telling customers "you better get a Collings uke now - you may never have another shot at them" - and the ukes go flying out the door. Sales gimmick? Not sure - most of these dealers were likely sincere in what they were saying.

However, it has been an ongoing saga with Collings ukes. Will they? Won't they? Who knows - but the fact that we are even talking about it indicates that it is a very real dynamic, don't you think?

Last edited:
To revive this thread, Collings no longer has ukes on their website. I went to look up specs on the new-to-me UC-1 I just got and they don't have them listed there under instruments any longer. Interestingly, they did a couple of days ago...

Bob

Rut-roh! Big Collings fan here. Would be a shame but I understand the business rationale. The profit dollars per uke pales compared to those in guitars and mandolins, both much more expensive average price point and higher volumes.

To revive this thread, Collings no longer has ukes on their website. I went to look up specs on the new-to-me UC-1 I just got and they don't have them listed there under instruments any longer. Interestingly, they did a couple of days ago...

Bob

Oh man, I hope it was an oversight or mistake, but I wonder if they are stopping production of ukes. That would be big loss.
Looks like they still have a custom ukulele page on Collings.
http://www.collingsguitars.com/custom-gallery/ukuleles/

Last edited:
Top Bottom