Newbie question about jargon

JeLeh

Reaction score
I'm sure the answer will be very apparent once revealed and I'll feel dumb for asking, but what does NUD mean? I've seen it on a lot titles of threads on the forum and am curious. It seems to go along with describing a new ukulele, so I'm guessing N = new, U = ukulele, but I'm stuck on the D. Thanks for any help!

New Ukulele Day. There's no such thing as a dumb question.

There is such a thing as a dumb question. For example, "If you melt dry ice, can you swim in it without getting wet?"

But asking what NUD means? Not dumb. Don't feel bad about asking for clarification or explanation, you'll catch on to the language of the forum right quick.

Last edited:
NUD = New Ukulele Day. Probably one of the most exciting posts in Uke talk. For the poster.
UAS = Ukulele Acquisition Syndrom. Means that one has taken to buying ukuleles for no other reason than to buy ukuleles.
GAS = Guitar Acquisition Syndom. Same thing, except guitars. It seems that some people have both.
HMS = Hawaii Music Supply, or The Ukulele Site, or theukulelesite.com If you can't go to Hawaii to get a ukulele, you can at least buy one shipped from Hawaii.
Mim's = Mim's. Another place to buy ukuleles.

Those four took me a while to figure out when I satarted

Ah, that makes sense! At least I guessed two the three letters correctly. That is an exciting day indeed :) No wonder there are so many posts about it. Thanks!

NUD = New Ukulele Day. Probably one of the most exciting posts in Uke talk. For the poster.
UAS = Ukulele Acquisition Syndrom. Means that one has taken to buying ukuleles for no other reason than to buy ukuleles.
GAS = Guitar Acquisition Syndom. Same thing, except guitars. It seems that some people have both.
HMS = Hawaii Music Supply, or The Ukulele Site, or theukulelesite.com If you can't go to Hawaii to get a ukulele, you can at least buy one shipped from Hawaii.

Thanks for the decoder ring!

Someone feeling a bit grumpy ;)?

I'm sure the answer will be very apparent once revealed and I'll feel dumb for asking, but what does NUD mean? I've seen it on a lot titles of threads on the forum and am curious. It seems to go along with describing a new ukulele, so I'm guessing N = new, U = ukulele, but I'm stuck on the D. Thanks for any help!

Please dont feel silly - it's NOT - it is a common question, and one that I asked myself when I first joined UU 3 yrs ago.

Keep ASKING and dont let anyone discourage your questions. Many folks here have walked this same path before you and are quite motivated to help and share their experience...

not to put too fine a point on it, and we all have a different opinion on various things - but I feel that the definition you have shared for UAS is unkind and does NOT match the motivation for MANY of those afflicted with this condition - I dont want to create conflict, but merely suggest that there is more to UAS than what has been described here.

Please keep your mind, and your OPTIONS open :)

UWC = Ukulele World Congress

Thanks. This is a good list, but I do have a recomendation. GAS is applicable to lots of other hobbies and I see it in forums that have nothing to do with guitars or ukuleles. I think the most generic definition for this TLA (Three Letter Acronym) is GEAR Acquisition Syndrome. I've seen it applied to cameras, survival stuff, EDC (every day carry), AND instruments of all kinds.

Please dont feel silly - it's NOT - it is a common question, and one that I asked myself when I first joined UU 3 yrs ago.

Keep ASKING and dont let anyone discourage your questions. Many folks here have walked this same path before you and are quite motivated to help and share their experience...

not to put too fine a point on it, and we all have a different opinion on various things - but I feel that the definition you have shared for UAS is unkind and does NOT match the motivation for MANY of those afflicted with this condition - I dont want to create conflict, but merely suggest that there is more to UAS than what has been described here.

Please keep your mind, and your OPTIONS open :)
It was just an attempt at dry humor. Please don't read too much into it.

Thanks. This is a good list, but I do have a recomendation. GAS is applicable to lots of other hobbies and I see it in forums that have nothing to do with guitars or ukuleles. I think the most generic definition for this TLA (Three Letter Acronym) is GEAR Acquisition Syndrome. I've seen it applied to cameras, survival stuff, EDC (every day carry), AND instruments of all kinds.
Tell me about it. I have had an acquisition syndrome with most everything I've done in my life. I've tried to break that cycle as an old man, to varied success.

...Thanks for any help!

You're in Moore?! I live about 30 mins South of there. Y'all have been lucky with the tornado activity so far this year, eh? (Knocks wood.)

Rllink said:
It was a feeble attempt at being humorous, but I forgot the smiley face, so no one could tell that.(your smileys edited out as UU is only allowing four for some reason)
Oh I know, just having a go at you as I think you can take it :) (but at least I included the mandatory smiley ;))!

Slight thread hijack: I learned a lesson about paying attention on the first day of sixth grade, in Mr. Swanson's science class. Mr. Swanson was explaining what we would be doing in class that year, and he encouraged us to ask questions - "There is no such thing as a dumb question." My mind wandered off for a moment, but I was vaguely aware of Tommy, in the row behind me, asking a question. I snapped back to attention when Mr. Swanson said, "Now **that** was a dumb question." I never knew what Tommy had asked, and as a result, have lived in fear ever since of asking dumb questions. :D:D

Back to the topic at hand: I have on two occasions seen "NUDE" often followed by "photos". That stands for New Uke Day Excitement. :)

Back to the topic at hand: I have on two occasions seen "NUDE" often followed by "photos". That stands for New Uke Day Excitement. :)
Now a thread with that as the title I'd expect to have HUNDREDS of views and few, if any comments, along the lines of 'nah nah - made ya look'
It was just an attempt at dry humor. Please don't read too much into it.
ok, no worries - sorry if I had my heart on my sleeve - I did not get the joke so it's my bad - we're good - no worries :)
Also, SAS - string acquisition syndrome

And dont forget the 120 post thread created by fellow UU brother Ukulele Eddie back in Feb 2014 with SCO, i.e., SCO = (S)tring (C)hanging (O)bsession...see here <--click - oh the FUN (and drama) we had there - some of it, um, was mine too - :music:

Last edited:
Top Bottom