Pulled the trigger on my first bari

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have been thinking about acquiring a Bari for a while now. A number of UU members have provided me with information and advice about that scale length instrument, for which I am very grateful and I have contacted a few builders about possible builds.

Today, after a lot of indecision, I placed my order with Jerry Hoffmann for a M style, ebony and AAA Red spruce baritone.

Here is a image of what the back will look like:

Ebony Back.jpg

Although I already own a Cocobolo and red spruce ML tenor from Jerry, ever since Recstar24(Ryan) received his gorgeous ebony/red spruce ML tenor, I have been thinking about building another Uke with that or a similar wood set.

I've requested a delivery for early October even though Jerry could deliver sooner. After the build starts I'll share any photos that I receive of the build.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks gorgeous already! This will be a wonderful instrument for sure, and I'm looking forward to more pictures of the build. My wife has this very same wood combo on her Hoffmann ML concert, and we like it very much.

Congrats! I've been quite impressed what what I've seen and heard (all online) from his ukes. Look forward to following the build thread and hearing it when it arrives.

Congratulations! I've never owned a Hoffmann (or Boat Paddle) uke, but I've had a chance to play a few and they're sweet. Just for fun, and while you're waiting for your Hoffmann baritone, here's the link to a video of Victoria Vox and her husband, Jack Maher, playing "Sultans of Swing" together. Jack is playing Victoria's baritone M Style Boat Paddle. Beautiful instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3atBdtWi8c

You will be thrilled. I played at Boat Paddle baritone at the Mighty MO UkeFest two years ago, and absolutely loved it.

First bari Boat Paddle! Well, you sure don't go half way, do you? :D
What scale did you settle on, or have you?

First bari Boat Paddle! Well, you sure don't go half way, do you? :D
What scale did you settle on, or have you?

What Jim said. Congrats on the new purchase. Looking forward to hearing it.

Hey, congrats on the new build. I like that body shape. Does that shape sound different from the "standard" figure 8 shape?

Congratulations on the new Hoffmann Ukulele. I got the identical wood combination on a tenor ML Jerry finished about a month ago. Stunning to look at an a real joy to play.

Jerry is a real stand-up guy. I bought a Boat Paddle baritone off the marketplace and it had a neck problem. Jerry fixed it even though I was not the original owner. I will do repeat business with him.

Wonderful news Hollis.

I look forward to hearing you share your excitement of it when it arrives.

Congratulations on the new Hoffmann Ukulele. I got the identical wood combination on a tenor ML Jerry finished about a month ago. Stunning to look at an a real joy to play.

Jerry is a real stand-up guy. I bought a Boat Paddle baritone off the marketplace and it had a neck problem. Jerry fixed it even though I was not the original owner. I will do repeat business with him.

Jerry sure is a stand up guy! This Bari will be my second Uke from him.

Wonderful news Hollis.

I look forward to hearing you share your excitement of it when it arrives.

Lenny, I'm sure I won't be able to contain my excitement even before it arrives. I will be sure to document the build as it progresses.

Way to go Hollis, great choice of builder and wood set. This will make an excellent addition to your group of instruments. I really look forward to the build in progress reports. Congratulations.

Top Bottom