newbie one month into getting uke.

bullet08

Reaction score
i started with uke for dummies. that lasted until about a week ago. it was very helpful, but at this point, it's getting rather.. boring. jumped on to uke aerobics. first week is just a repeat and review. it's ok. my fingers are peeling, and chords are more or less becoming familiar, but no where near clean or do it without looking all the time. running into getting clean sound out of the uke. need to adjust my fretting finger often. got few tunes down, but not very interesting. nothing wrong with strumming and singing, but i can't stand my own voice singing. fingerpicking is more to my liking, but not finding suitable way to fret properly, need a new book. so far it's still very interesting and i'm picking up the uke at least once a day. going over the chords, do some finger exercise, and going over few tunes that i'm working on. next stop is finding out how to fret properly while fingerpicking.

just saying..

Seems like you are moving along nicely. The Uke Aerobics is a good supplement to other things. I wouldn't do it by itself.
There are some good books on learning finger-style and some not so good.
Some just have songs while others have exercises and songs.
My top book for finger-style is the Pekelo series of books. It has exercises and songs. And will help you work on good finger techniques.
If you want to learn to play harmony and melody together, picking and strumming.
Try The Ukulele Way online course by James Hill. It comes out to about 7.50USD a month for the use of online materials. Videos, songs, tips, tricks, etc.
Good luck and Uke on!

Ukulele Exercises for Dummies is surprisingly good. It has numerous exercises for both strumming and picking (different styles, too.

Brett McQueen's (author of Ukulele Exercises for Dummies) online course isnt bad either, I signed up for it when I started and while I took a break from it, I plan to finish it!

Fretting properly and getting your individual notes sounding clear is something that just comes with time. You're aware that you need to work on it, that's the main thing.

Fretting properly and getting your individual notes sounding clear is something that just comes with time.
Yet not without practice.

You are still laying the foundation for your uke life, don't rush but pay attention to the basics. Any "wrong habits" learned now will be hard to iron out later. Take one step at a time. Playing like James Hill takes many years of intense training, don't expect to be even close before 2020.

Top Bottom