Kanilea K1 vs K2, 3, etc.

raduray

Reaction score
I know the higher level models look nicer, but is there a sound/playability difference between the entry level Kanilea K1 models and the more expensive models?

There are sound and playability diffences in ukes that are the same model. Some just sound and play better than others. . I'm sure there are K-1's that sound and play better than their more expensive cousins, BUT I've never played a 2or3.

There are sound and playability diffences in ukes that are the same model. Some just sound and play better than others. . I'm sure there are K-1's that sound and play better than their more expensive cousins, BUT I've never played a 2or3.

Exactly as Strum says. They are pretty much built the same, bling excepted.

Aren't there different finishes on the K1 vs. the 2 or 3? I thought that K1 was satin finish, but not the others? If so, that might make a difference in sound.

Aren't there different finishes on the K1 vs. the 2 or 3? I thought that K1 was satin finish, but not the others? If so, that might make a difference in sound.

The finish on the K1 can be satin or uv gloss. Whether the finish affects the tone is another matter all together. I've only owned a gloss K1.

I don't want to complicate things, but Kanile'a also has what they call a silk finish. It's not as pretty as the gloss to most eyes, but feels incredibly smooth, so it's my favorite. (I think they use silk finish on the necks now even if you get gloss, because your hand slides around so effortlessly... just a treat.)

They are all very thin—and very durable—UV cured finishes. I think you probably should just grab what whichever strikes your fancy after factoring in looks, feel, and sound (which as others noted can vary independent of finish/bling choices).

Top Bottom