Chord Chart Question

Inkdork

Reaction score
At the uke club meeting I went to on Tuesday, I was given some nice printouts of chord charts. I noticed on some of them something I'm not sure how to interpret. I looked at many charts in an image search, and it wasn't clarified, so here we go.

I understand the typical black filled in circles represent the location and string to be fretted.... and on some charts, across the top has a open white circle to represent an open string. But on some of the charts I was given, there are both black and white circles on the same strings and I have no idea what that means.

Can someone please clarify this for me? If its unclear, I can take a photo of the charts tomorrow and show you.

second guess: simple typo during chart creation

Judging would be easier with examples....

Whenever I draft chords I tend to make solid dots wherever a finger is supposed to fret a string, probably enhanced by finger numbers. No dot means open string, an X on top of the diagram indicates a muted (unplayed) string.
Basic principle: less is more, don't confuse people with too much information squeezed into a tiny diagram. Rather make two for different fingerings.

Top Bottom