Keeping Tru-Oil over time

fungusgeek

Reaction score
I like Tru-Oil, but do not use very much at any one time. I (and lots of others I think) have had a problem with the rest of the bottle gelling once the bottle is opened. Keeping the bottle upside down helps only a very little. I tried flushing the bottle out with non-air computer de-duster, and this seemed to work a little better, but still not great, and kind of a pain.

I think I have found a very good solution.
Woodcraft supply sells bags for storing finish, that are constructed to stop any transpiration through the bag. $12 for a set of 4
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/160882/stoplossbags-4-pack.aspx
You can squeeze all of the air out of the bag before putting on the cap, which means no oxygen gets to the Tru-Oil. I have kept a partial bottle of Tru-Oil in the bag for over 4 months and it show no signs of getting think or gummy.

I made a small spigot using a gas shut off valve from my local lawn tractor store, so I can hang the bag up like an IV bag, and run out just what I need and I never have to open the bag at all, since it compresses as the Tru-Oil is withdrawn.

IMG_20160511_183618.jpgIMG_20160511_183635.jpg

That's a cool solution but keep it in the dark. UV light will cure the Tru-Oil.

I must say tho, I'm a big fan of the aerosol can of Tru-Oil these days. But I don't spray to apply it, rather I spray onto a rag and then apply. The oil is thinner in the spray can and might take a few more applications for the same build, but no thickening or drying out whatsoever. And, I quite like it thinner as I find that easier to apply smoothly. Also think that it penetrates better.

It will thin ..using mineral spirits or turpentine ..and I've read that Ronson lighter fuel also works well.

I have a large bottle of Tru oil, when the level drops below the top I add marbles until all the air is displaced. A year old at least and like new.

It will thin ..using mineral spirits or turpentine ..and I've read that Ronson lighter fuel also works well.

Ronson lighter fluid = Naphtha. Also known as the "bitches brew of aromatic solvents". Useful stuff actually. Beware: Ingredients vary.

Top Bottom