PDA

View Full Version : How can I sell my MB in a manner that is fair

katysax
05-12-2016, 08:03 AM
As I have posted before, I am moving to a smaller house and pain in my hand has limited my ability to play tenor.

I am about to start selling my tenor ukes, and I sadly and unfortunately need to sell my Moore Bettah. The problem is that whenever I post this I get flooded with requests to buy it. Several of the requests have come from people I consider to be friends. My goal is not to make the last possible dollar, my goal is to get it to a good home where it will be appreciated but I don't want to have to pick one friend over another. Thus I was planning to auction it on ebay with a reasonable start price and no reserve. However, ebay has now started setting selling limits and I can't stay within the monthly limits because I am selling off many things that I own. So what is a fair way to sell a high value high demand uke? I don't want to have to pick one friend over another.

strumsilly
05-12-2016, 08:13 AM
set your price. if you have more than 1 buyer, put names into a hat and draw one.

Griffis
05-12-2016, 08:33 AM
I hope it works out for you with the least amount of *expletive deleted* possible.

this illustrates perfectly why I haven't done a single eBay transaction since 2008 or 2009. I used to buy and sell there all the time. I had a 100% rating with hundreds of transactions. Then, the listing fees went up, then PayPal came along. They had fees too, or at least took percentages. I had a problem (no fault of my own) with PayPal and now refuse to use them. Got to where you could just about ONLY buy and sell if you had a PayPal account, then they seemed to gear themselves more towards eBay "stores" instead of individual sellers, now this *expletive deleted.*

No thanks. Craigslist is a breeze. Local, no shipping, no fees, no *expletive deleted.* I couldn't care less that people aren't bidding, just haggling. It's awesome.

Anyway, I went off on a rant...or tangent...apologies.

I hope it works out with you, and sorry to hear about your wrist / hand pain.

Problems with my hands is what brought me to the ukulele from the world of bass and guitar in the first place, about 15 years back. I wish you the best, and freedom from pain.

spookelele
05-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Sell tickets. Then cut it up into that many pieces and then send a piece to each ticket holder.

But really.. a lottery is probably the fairest way. Set your price, take names, and draw one.

ProfChris
05-12-2016, 08:50 AM
You could list it here inviting bids by a closing date. Then pick the bid you like best. Keep the bids confidential and no-one will know whether you picked the highest bidder, or the friend who got close enough.

hawaii 50
05-12-2016, 08:52 AM
If you have to sell it..sell to a friend who knows what it is worth and will keep it.....getting what you paid is good if they really are your friends....but I have a friend who paid me way more than I paid for a nice custom uke.....I am lucky to have a uke friend like that.....I did not want to make a profit but understand now what the uke was worth....

my 2 cents

Hms
05-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Will HMS take it on consignment at sell at auction as they do with other ukes?
They take a cut based on sale price, so in their interests to sell for the best possible price. It insulates you from your friends thinking you favoured someone else to them, plus it gives a wider market place than you can get easily.
Good luck with the sale.
H
Clarification.
By HMS, I mean Hawaii Music Supply, not HMS the author of the post, (my initials!)

Doc_J
05-12-2016, 09:51 AM
You might ask Andrew at HMS to auction it for you.

You might list on Reverb using a very high value, and solicit bids. They have a 3.5% fee, very modest.

You could ask Shawn at Ukulele friend to sell it for you. But he already has a MBU there. (http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/moore-bettah-ukulele-23/)

Would you believe Reverb also has a MBU for sale! (https://reverb.com/item/1656526-moore-bettah-tenor-ukulele)

raduray
05-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Why not list it here with an unreasonably high price with OBO and see what the best offer is?

DownUpDave
05-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Let's say you have 3,4,5 or more friends that you would like to see own this instrument. Set a price then contact each one letting them know your asking price. Get firm commitments from those sincerely interested. Put the names in a hat and draw one. This way you get what you want for it, the instrument goes to a friend. None of your friends that are in a position to buy it are offended because they all had an equal shot at winning it. No bidding wars no hurt feelings and the uke is still in your life because you know who has it

dkcrown
05-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear of your hand issue katysax. I don't have any advice for selling your MB other than don't feel guilty about getting what you can for it. I hope your hand issues improve, you enjoy your smaller house, and good luck with the sale. :)

stevejfc
05-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Let's say you have 3,4,5 or more friends that you would like to see own this instrument. Set a price then contact each one letting them know your asking price. Get firm commitments from those sincerely interested. Put the names in a hat and draw one. This way you get what you want for it, the instrument goes to a friend. None of your friends that are in a position to buy it are offended because they all had an equal shot at winning it. No bidding wars no hurt feelings and the uke is still in your life because you know who has it

I agree with Dave................that is surely the fairest way to sell and insure that it gets a good home.
I'm truely sorry about your hand issues, and hope everything works out for you.

hollisdwyer
05-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your hand issue, I am starting to suffer the same disability. That's why I have sold or am selling my guitars. I'm also retiring this year and will be downsizing homes and have to let go of the stuff that won't fit anymore. Despite these drivers I wouldn't consider 'fire sale' prices for any of my instruments. I usually give my friends first refusal and as they are friends and understand the value of my instruments, they don't try to bargain.

Don't feel guilty about asking a fair price for a very desirable instrument. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Twibbly
05-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your hand issue, I am starting to suffer the same disability. That's why I have sold or am selling my guitars. I'm also retiring this year and will be downsizing homes and have to let go of the stuff that won't fit anymore. Despite these drivers I wouldn't consider 'fire sale' prices for any of my instruments. I usually give my friends first refusal and as they are friends and understand the value of my instruments, they don't try to bargain.

Don't feel guilty about asking a fair price for a very desirable instrument. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Might I also add that any "friend" who gives you crap about wanting a fair price may not exactly be a friend?

coolkayaker1
05-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Do a reverse auction on UU Marketplace (as was done recently by WDS).

Start the bidding at, say, $10k, then every day, drop the price by $200.

Soon you'll discover who your best friend really is. ;)

kkimura
05-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Don't sell it. Your hand could get better. You could play left handed. you could keep it as a family heirloom. You might regret not having it if you sold it. Don't sell it.

sam13
05-12-2016, 05:34 PM
I like the reverse auction idea or HMS doing the sale.

Dave and I were mentioning we missed having you around and your posts.

Hope the move works out for you and your hand heals up.

hawaii 50
05-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Don't sell it. Your hand could get better. You could play left handed. you could keep it as a family heirloom. You might regret not having it if you sold it. Don't sell it.

haha..good advice I bought my MB with the idea of passing it to someone when I am gone....:) but different for everyone...good luck with your sale.....

JustinJ
05-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Just put the uke up for sale. I've had people in the past say they wanted said item that I had. I get ready to sell it and then they do not have the money. This is an expensive instrument and even if someone wants it, it does not mean they can pay for it.

The reality of the situation is that if they want the uke, someone will give you the money. And if they are upset about you selling it, then you do not need their friendship. I try not to sell or do any business with friends. It keeps it simple.

UkerDanno
05-12-2016, 06:27 PM
+1 for the idea of contacting HMS and see if they'll auction it. :shaka:

coolkayaker1
05-13-2016, 05:16 AM
Just put the uke up for sale. I've had people in the past say they wanted said item that I had. I get ready to sell it and then they do not have the money. This is an expensive instrument and even if someone wants it, it does not mean they can pay for it.

The reality of the situation is that if they want the uke, someone will give you the money. And if they are upset about you selling it, then you do not need their friendship. I try not to sell or do any business with friends. It keeps it simple.

That's certainly true, what you say. Yes.

Frankly, although Andrew might auction it for you, his time might well require a fee similar to eBay (who could blame him or eBay)...and, it really didn't accomplish your friend buying it right? When some foreign gazillionsire buys it, you didn't accomplish the main point of your original post: seeing one of your friends get it, even if not for top dollar.

You might just toss it on eBay for a fixed price listing, tell your friends, and let the first one with the cash buy it (or directly from you to skip the fee, as most high ticket items are listed "for sale locally" on eBay, which is within their policy). Odds are, like Justin says, they'll be no local takers. Lol. Everyone says "Hey, if you ever sell it, let me know, I'll buy it" until they suddenly think that your asking 75% of your cost is too much. Lol. Lol.

You have plenty of experience selling ukes, though, so I know you'll have a smooth transaction. You're honest and kind, that's the key, Katysax. I've always loved our discussions about ukes...KoOlaus v Ponos v etc etc. fun!

wayfarer75
05-13-2016, 07:32 AM

My thoughts exactly.

If HMS has an auction, it could get stuck in a glass shelf never to be played again. And that would be sad.

cml
05-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Someone's bound to be upset if many of your friends want it and selling to friends can potentially lead to bad blood. In that case I'd rather sell it to someone "unkown", like on the marketplace here for a fixed amount or through an auction on a different site, such as mentioned here in the thread.

stevepetergal
05-14-2016, 04:40 AM
Here's what I'd do. Decide on the price and advertise it here on the UU. First person who shows up at my house with the cash gets it.

Dan Uke
05-14-2016, 07:46 AM
I don't have any advice for selling your MB other than don't feel guilty about getting what you can for it.

Sorry Dana but I don't feel the same as fellow MBU owners. We all know Chuck sells them cheaper than market because he wants us to enjoy his ukes. I believe it's a disservice to him if we flip those ukes for a profit. If you don't have a relationship with him, then it's just another object but most us value his friendship. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Steveperrywriter
05-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Set what you think is a fair price. Tell your friends you are going to put the names into a hat and the one that comes up will get first chance, at that price. Chuck usually posts new builds that aren't spoken for on his website, and it is first come, first served, but since you have already let it be known the instrument is for sale, blind drawing is fair.

If your friends are your friends, they will accept it. If they don't? Might not really be your friends.

hawaii 50
05-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Sorry Dana but I don't feel the same as fellow MBU owners. We all know Chuck sells them cheaper than market because he wants us to enjoy his ukes. I believe it's a disservice to him if we flip those ukes for a profit. If you don't have a relationship with him, then it's just another object but most us value his friendship. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks Daniel....

yes most folks who are lucky enough to get a MB direct from Chuck usually have a friendship with him..so they do get a good price from him....so if he gives someone his prices he doing it for the same reason...IMO

if someone makes a large profit on his uke not really fair to Chuck...but that is how the World turns....Andrew does share the profits with Chuck on the Collector MB ukes that come up at auction....

like you I still feel that Chuck's ukes are under priced......:)

my 2 cents

dkcrown
05-14-2016, 08:42 AM

I understand where you are coming from Daniel. But I wouldn't classify what katysax is doing as flipping her MB for a profit. According to her she is selling her tenors because she can no longer play them due to hand issues. I'll take her at her word for that.

Chuck's new ukes are selling for a pretty penny now. I think all of us that know Chuck are extremely happy for him for the success that he has achieved in the ukulele world. It couldn't happen to a better guy, and he is so deserving. It has come because he works his ass off at doing something he loves to do. If you are lucky enough to be able to call him a friend, then you are a lucky lad or lass indeed. He and I had a conversation recently about selling one of his older ukes. I think that you would be surprised at what he told me.

janeray1940
05-14-2016, 08:45 AM

This seems so simple and logical to me. Post it on UU, set your price, first to give you the money takes it. Easy peasy - it's not personal, it's business.

Maybe go through the additional step of contacting all of your friends who have expressed interest in the past and tell them that the time and date that you plan to post it in the UU Marketplace, and stick to that time and date. That way everyone has an equally fair chance of being first in line.

No muss, no fuss, no nasty eBay fees or selling limits. Only downside, you might break the internets when EVERYBODY logs on to UU at that designated time and date :)

Nickie
05-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Hi katysax,
I hope your hand heals.
I have an idea....you could donate your MB to TBUS to be raffled off at the TBUG. We use the funds for good causes.
Just thinking.....and kidding.
I think you'll find downsizing to be a healing thing. I try to keep the flow of stuff going, but still have too much crap. (But no MBs)

CiceroAnon
05-16-2016, 04:13 PM
I think posting in the marketplace is a fair and reasonable way to do it. You cannot beat the sound of playability of a MB. I sure would love to have one to play again.

flailingfingers
05-18-2016, 04:26 AM
Seems to me that you want a friend to have the MB but don't know how best to determine a market price that is accurate and fair. How about asking the folks at HMS, Ukulele Friend or someone who deals in custom MB for an estimate. I'm not sure they would be comfortable doing that but maybe they would. I bought a used MB from Ukulele Friend for the price they had listed. That means the previous owner sent it to them, or sold it to them, with some price set. Thus they had a figure in mind without an auction format. That way you would have a realistic/fair price in mind and could offer it to your friends at that price. Then the "names in a hat" may come into play.

mmfitzsimons
05-18-2016, 07:55 AM
^^^This is an excellent idea. Perhaps a private message to Andrew at HMS would yield an appraisal. I can't think of anyone who has a better view of the uke market at any given time.

As problems go, deciding how to sell a MB uke has to be at the top the list of ones I'd like to have, lol... Good luck -- it's cool that you are approaching this in a thoughtful way. :)

Teek
05-19-2016, 09:26 AM
If it was my dilemma (and I had horrible hand pain for years about 4 years ago from extreme overuse via mousing and keyboarding at my last job, to the point where I could no longer type and could barely button a shirt), I would sell every other tenor and keep one or two concerts and a soprano, and the MB. I would detune the MB a full step and capo it to a concert scale length, say the second fret so it would still be in "C" tuning. I would continue to play the snot out of it, because that was what I bought it for.

Then I would start nutritional support supplements and stop eating gluten grains and nightshade plants, because even though some of my friends laugh at me, when I stopped eating a basket of cherry tomatoes from our garden every day my hand pain was about 1/20 what it was just a couple days later, once the RSI also started healing. I still have arthritis commensurate with my age, but as long as I have my pizzas with white garlic sauce and stay away from potatoes and tomatoes and wheat, my hands don't puff up and ache. Everybody laughed at me when I said take magnesium glycinate for your back pain and RLS, and my mom has finally been able to cut back her opiods and is less anxious too. She even worked on her neighbor, the hard case who buckled when she couldn't sleep from awful restless legs on top of back pain and went to her doctor who said "Take magnesium". She took some of that exact form that I had given my mom and hasn't had a problem with RLS since. Shocking.

I am also loving my 24" scale guitars and actually learning stuff on them, and even have a few full scales that I stretch over (I can reach 4 frets), and a few years back even a concert uke hurt me to play. I am also very careful how I use my hands now that I don't abuse them. AND I got a better job!

Just a thought. Your friends can wait.

CiceroAnon
05-20-2016, 06:37 PM
You probably will regret selling once you do, so I would keep it if I were you. I've regretted selling my MB since the day I sold it last fall.

hawaii 50
05-20-2016, 08:29 PM
You probably will regret selling once you do, so I would keep it if I were you. I've regretted selling my MB since the day I sold it last fall.

I am confused now you say you had a MB and sold it....where did you get it from(direct from Chuck?) or from another owner and what kind of wood was it made from....

sorry but seems like your story does not match your other post.....IMO

I just read your new post...so you were the one who tried to sell your MB for 50K....do you work for Pinol Ukulele?

sorry Katysax but I got to call out this guy....:)

CiceroAnon
05-20-2016, 08:55 PM
I am the 50k loser, you got me and that disqualifies me from ever getting on the MB waiting list.
No, I don't work for Pinol, but I do think they are not given a fair shot ever since that thread from you know where.

So, what doesn't add up? I purchased the MB on ebay for 5k, failed to sell it for 50k and sold it for much less than that.

hawaii 50
05-20-2016, 09:04 PM
I am the 50k loser, you got me and that disqualifies me from ever getting on the MB waiting list.
No, I don't work for Pinol, but I do think they are not given a fair shot ever since that thread from you know where.

So, what doesn't add up? I purchased the MB on ebay for 5k, failed to sell it for 50k and sold it for much less than that.

just seems like you work for Pinol, I am wrong I guess.....anyway like I said at least you owned up to it......I give you credit.....most people buy a MB because they want and can afford to play the best....and they can call Chuck their friend.....I have many ukes and I have met almost all the builders....to me it makes the ukes more precious to me....the builders are hard working and humble....makes my ukes feel like part of me....

CiceroAnon
05-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Chuck is certainly the best imo and just to get a response from him gave me chills. I have played many ukuleles but none of them have the "mana" that the MBs have.

I should ask Pinol to hire me....just kidding, lol.

Hawaii 50, I am jelous of your ukulele collection. Are they in order by your favorites?

hawaii 50
05-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Chuck is certainly the best imo and just to get a response from him gave me chills. I have played many ukuleles but none of them have the "mana" that the MBs have.

I should ask Pinol to hire me....just kidding, lol.

Hawaii 50, I am jelous of your ukulele collection. Are they in order by your favorites?

NO..order of how I bought them...

CiceroAnon
05-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Awe, okay. I would guess that the Devine is your favorite. :-)

Oh, and I won't make any attempt to purchase this MB since I am undeserving.

katysax
05-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided not to sell it. I might be able to play it on a very limited basis because the neck is easy. I really do not want to sell it.

hawaii 50
05-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided not to sell it. I might be able to play it on a very limited basis because the neck is easy. I really do not want to sell it.

glad to hear that....enjoy it as much as you can....:)

wayfarer75
05-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Best to keep it, IMO. Wise choice.

Tigeralum2001
05-21-2016, 12:52 PM
That is the right choice. The second option would be to sell to me so you don't have to make an agonizing decision about which friend to sell it to. :)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-21-2016, 05:14 PM
If it was my dilemma (and I had horrible hand pain for years about 4 years ago from extreme overuse via mousing and keyboarding at my last job, to the point where I could no longer type and could barely button a shirt), I would sell every other tenor and keep one or two concerts and a soprano, and the MB. I would detune the MB a full step and capo it to a concert scale length, say the second fret so it would still be in "C" tuning. I would continue to play the snot out of it, because that was what I bought it for.
Then I would start nutritional support supplements and stop eating gluten grains and nightshade plants, because even though some of my friends laugh at me, when I stopped eating a basket of cherry tomatoes from our garden every day my hand pain was about 1/20 what it was just a couple days later, once the RSI also started healing. I still have arthritis commensurate with my age, but as long as I have my pizzas with white garlic sauce and stay away from potatoes and tomatoes and wheat, my hands don't puff up and ache. Everybody laughed at me when I said take magnesium glycinate for your back pain and RLS, and my mom has finally been able to cut back her opiods and is less anxious too. She even worked on her neighbor, the hard case who buckled when she couldn't sleep from awful restless legs on top of back pain and went to her doctor who said "Take magnesium". She took some of that exact form that I had given my mom and hasn't had a problem with RLS since. Shocking.

I am also loving my 24" scale guitars and actually learning stuff on them, and even have a few full scales that I stretch over (I can reach 4 frets), and a few years back even a concert uke hurt me to play. I am also very careful how I use my hands now that I don't abuse them. AND I got a better job!

Just a thought. Your friends can wait.

This is such good advice I can't stand it. Been there, doing that. I'll add omega three oils to your list as well as ginger/turmeric. I've managed my rheumatoid arthritis with dietary changes alone and no medications. Thank you for mentioning these things Teek. :)

bunnyf
05-22-2016, 05:28 AM
Glad to hear that you are holding on to your MB. I was sad to hear that you were thinking of parting with it for health reasons. It got me thinking how bad I might feel if I got to the point when I could no longer play. I have had a few bad bouts of tendonitis over the past 7 years and have had to lay off the uke for a few months. It was difficult, but I used the down time constructively, organizing and updating my music library. Fortunately, the pain passes and I was able to go back to making music. The decision to keep your MB is smart. You never know what medicine, therapy or simply time will do. Wise to keep a wait and see attitude. Best wishes for improved health!

Joyful Uke
05-22-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm glad to hear that you think that you might still be able to get some enjoyment from your MB.
I hope that you'll find some ways to help alleviate your pain and fully enjoy all of you ukuleles.

DownUpDave
05-22-2016, 06:54 AM
The Moore Bettah is yours and deserves to stay with you. I am happy for you that you've decided to keep it.

kvehe
05-22-2016, 07:02 AM
That's great news. I'm so glad to hear that the Moore Bettah is staying at home.