How can I sell my MB in a manner that is fair

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As I have posted before, I am moving to a smaller house and pain in my hand has limited my ability to play tenor.

I am about to start selling my tenor ukes, and I sadly and unfortunately need to sell my Moore Bettah. The problem is that whenever I post this I get flooded with requests to buy it. Several of the requests have come from people I consider to be friends. My goal is not to make the last possible dollar, my goal is to get it to a good home where it will be appreciated but I don't want to have to pick one friend over another. Thus I was planning to auction it on ebay with a reasonable start price and no reserve. However, ebay has now started setting selling limits and I can't stay within the monthly limits because I am selling off many things that I own. So what is a fair way to sell a high value high demand uke? I don't want to have to pick one friend over another.

I hope it works out for you with the least amount of *expletive deleted* possible.

this illustrates perfectly why I haven't done a single eBay transaction since 2008 or 2009. I used to buy and sell there all the time. I had a 100% rating with hundreds of transactions. Then, the listing fees went up, then PayPal came along. They had fees too, or at least took percentages. I had a problem (no fault of my own) with PayPal and now refuse to use them. Got to where you could just about ONLY buy and sell if you had a PayPal account, then they seemed to gear themselves more towards eBay "stores" instead of individual sellers, now this *expletive deleted.*

No thanks. Craigslist is a breeze. Local, no shipping, no fees, no *expletive deleted.* I couldn't care less that people aren't bidding, just haggling. It's awesome.

Anyway, I went off on a rant...or tangent...apologies.

I hope it works out with you, and sorry to hear about your wrist / hand pain.

Problems with my hands is what brought me to the ukulele from the world of bass and guitar in the first place, about 15 years back. I wish you the best, and freedom from pain.

Sell tickets. Then cut it up into that many pieces and then send a piece to each ticket holder.

But really.. a lottery is probably the fairest way. Set your price, take names, and draw one.

You could list it here inviting bids by a closing date. Then pick the bid you like best. Keep the bids confidential and no-one will know whether you picked the highest bidder, or the friend who got close enough.

If you have to sell it..sell to a friend who knows what it is worth and will keep it.....getting what you paid is good if they really are your friends....but I have a friend who paid me way more than I paid for a nice custom uke.....I am lucky to have a uke friend like that.....I did not want to make a profit but understand now what the uke was worth....

my 2 cents

Will HMS take it on consignment at sell at auction as they do with other ukes?
They take a cut based on sale price, so in their interests to sell for the best possible price. It insulates you from your friends thinking you favoured someone else to them, plus it gives a wider market place than you can get easily.
Good luck with the sale.
H
Clarification.
By HMS, I mean Hawaii Music Supply, not HMS the author of the post, (my initials!)

Last edited:
Why not list it here with an unreasonably high price with OBO and see what the best offer is?

Let's say you have 3,4,5 or more friends that you would like to see own this instrument. Set a price then contact each one letting them know your asking price. Get firm commitments from those sincerely interested. Put the names in a hat and draw one. This way you get what you want for it, the instrument goes to a friend. None of your friends that are in a position to buy it are offended because they all had an equal shot at winning it. No bidding wars no hurt feelings and the uke is still in your life because you know who has it

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your hand issue katysax. I don't have any advice for selling your MB other than don't feel guilty about getting what you can for it. I hope your hand issues improve, you enjoy your smaller house, and good luck with the sale. :)

Let's say you have 3,4,5 or more friends that you would like to see own this instrument. Set a price then contact each one letting them know your asking price. Get firm commitments from those sincerely interested. Put the names in a hat and draw one. This way you get what you want for it, the instrument goes to a friend. None of your friends that are in a position to buy it are offended because they all had an equal shot at winning it. No bidding wars no hurt feelings and the uke is still in your life because you know who has it

I agree with Dave................that is surely the fairest way to sell and insure that it gets a good home.
I'm truely sorry about your hand issues, and hope everything works out for you.

Sorry to hear about your hand issue, I am starting to suffer the same disability. That's why I have sold or am selling my guitars. I'm also retiring this year and will be downsizing homes and have to let go of the stuff that won't fit anymore. Despite these drivers I wouldn't consider 'fire sale' prices for any of my instruments. I usually give my friends first refusal and as they are friends and understand the value of my instruments, they don't try to bargain.

Don't feel guilty about asking a fair price for a very desirable instrument. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Sorry to hear about your hand issue, I am starting to suffer the same disability. That's why I have sold or am selling my guitars. I'm also retiring this year and will be downsizing homes and have to let go of the stuff that won't fit anymore. Despite these drivers I wouldn't consider 'fire sale' prices for any of my instruments. I usually give my friends first refusal and as they are friends and understand the value of my instruments, they don't try to bargain.

Don't feel guilty about asking a fair price for a very desirable instrument. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Might I also add that any "friend" who gives you crap about wanting a fair price may not exactly be a friend?

Do a reverse auction on UU Marketplace (as was done recently by WDS).

Start the bidding at, say, $10k, then every day, drop the price by $200.

Soon you'll discover who your best friend really is. ;)

Don't sell it. Your hand could get better. You could play left handed. you could keep it as a family heirloom. You might regret not having it if you sold it. Don't sell it.

I like the reverse auction idea or HMS doing the sale.

Dave and I were mentioning we missed having you around and your posts.

Hope the move works out for you and your hand heals up.

Don't sell it. Your hand could get better. You could play left handed. you could keep it as a family heirloom. You might regret not having it if you sold it. Don't sell it.

haha..good advice I bought my MB with the idea of passing it to someone when I am gone....:) but different for everyone...good luck with your sale.....

Just put the uke up for sale. I've had people in the past say they wanted said item that I had. I get ready to sell it and then they do not have the money. This is an expensive instrument and even if someone wants it, it does not mean they can pay for it.

The reality of the situation is that if they want the uke, someone will give you the money. And if they are upset about you selling it, then you do not need their friendship. I try not to sell or do any business with friends. It keeps it simple.

Last edited:
+1 for the idea of contacting HMS and see if they'll auction it. :shaka:

Top Bottom