Guide fingers in Chords

jddennis

Reaction score
Jim Beloff had an excellent article in Ukulele Magazine about using your pinkie in chord formations. He states that it can make changing between different chord forms much easier.

One thing I took away from this was the idea not getting locked into using specific fingers for a specific shape. It's been something I've done for a while, actually. When learning a new song, I try to look through the chords to see the shapes and notes. If I can keep fingers down through multiple shapes, or slide fingers to the appropriate spot, I try to make that happen. It seriously makes the left-hand burden a lot easier.

Does anyone else have tricks they use for fingerings? Or, have you tried something that doesn't seem to fit for some reason?

Also a newbie here, and struggling with the G-G7 switch right now.

Jim's article really has great advice! Thanks for sharing!

I read about that G to G7 trick in his Daily Ukulele book a couple of years back. As far as what fingers to use when doing a chord, I never thought that there was a hard a fast rule. I always think that it is funny when people ask permission to do if differently.

Last edited:
I've figured that there's no real "right" way to play a chord; it really comes down to what's most comfortable for you. That being said, there are a few basic rules to follow that'll make future, more complex chords, easier. Things like keeping your fingers curled rather than flat, or incorporating your pinkie into basic chords will make transitions easier. A basic chord progression I found that helps finger strength and dex is Dm7, G7, C7, Am. They all flow easily into one another, and playing it frequently definitely helps your strength. Bye bye to finger cramps after a while.

Top Bottom