Gibson tenor 1948

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domiuke

Reaction score
I have a new project and need money to realise it.
I sell my Gibson tenor 1948
It is located in France.

This is a few pictures and video.

https://app.box.com/s/5x805n88siuo79at5actjaf7tyfx1rj0

If someone is really interested we can skype.

I got it for 800 € and will sell it for the same price excludind transport fees and customs.

It appears from the pictures that there is a crack in the top panel and the saddle is glued in place; is this correct?

It appears from the pictures that there is a crack in the top panel and the saddle is glued in place; is this correct?

Yes you are correct there is a very very little slight crack but I don't think It had needed to be repaired, I bought it like this and the last owner, an Australian did not tell me anything special about this .

I went to the luthier who said this instrument does not need any reparation and is in very good shape for its age.

As I have written upon if somenone is really interested we can have a skype and see and hear all what you wish.

Sorry, I did not agree with your luthier. The crack needs to be stabilized or it will continue to grow in length due to the vibration of the top panel. Some number 10 super glue allowed to penetrate the crack and harden will stabilize the crack. If the crack gets larger you may need to level the top and cleat it. Some simple tools you can obtain from Stew Mac will allow you to do this. Also, if the saddle is glued in that's bad news since you will not be able to adjust the action. Is it glued in?

Sorry, I did not agree with your luthier. The crack needs to be stabilized or it will continue to grow in length due to the vibration of the top panel. Some number 10 super glue allowed to penetrate the crack and harden will stabilize the crack. If the crack gets larger you may need to level the top and cleat it. Some simple tools you can obtain from Stew Mac will allow you to do this. Also, if the saddle is glued in that's bad news since you will not be able to adjust the action. Is it glued in?

Agree, the crack should definitely be repaired to prevent further cracking.

Some number 10 super glue allowed to penetrate the crack and harden will stabilize the crack.

Please, do not use "Super Glue" to repair a crack. If you do not know how to correctly perform the repairs yourself, take it to a qualified luthier. This is exactly the same way you end up with a saddle that is glued into place.

Last edited:
Going to a visit to another luthier to know what to do.
Will tell you then...

Superglue is a horrible choice for repairing a vintage instrument. It can potentially damage the finish. Use hot hide glue.

The worst looking crack repairs I have seen were done with superglue.

Guys - I know it is well-intended, but can we stop turning people's "For Sale" threads into a discussion forums? It is happening more and more frequently.

Just comming back from my visit to the luthier.
This is about the story of this instrument he thinks it is .
This tenor has been restored in a professionnal way.
2 hairlines have been reglued and well stabilized, no risk of extension.
Has been matt varnish It is why it looks new.
Conclusion : It is a very nice vintage instrument with good value.
After searching differents sources the instrument in its shape can be evaluated around 1000 € or 1130 usd.
I sell it for 800 € or 900 usd

Sorry for my poor english, that's all I can say and repeat once more for people really interested I propose to have a video skype .
Can't do anything more and would have been very happy when I bought instrument comming from foreign countries to have the same level of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom