B flat major fingering

raduray

Reaction score
For the 3211 shape of the B flat major fingering, I find it easier to barre the entire first fret with my index finger, but all the references say I should only barre the bottom two strings with my finger tip. What's the downside of doing it my way?

I also barre the whole 1st. The only downside I've noticed is it's a bit harder to change chords from a full barre chord, but that's not too big of a deal if you practice. Either one works just as good.

One more downside I noticed when first learning and it's not a problem anymore is it's harder to get it clean with the whole barre. With the tip of the finger barre, you can really concentrate your fretting on two strings easier than the bottom of your finger with the whole barre.

Last edited:
One more downside I noticed when first learning and it's not a problem anymore is it's harder to get it clean with the whole barre. With the tip of the finger barre, you can really concentrate your fretting on two strings easier than the bottom of your finger with the whole barre.

The way I deal with that is to actually place the load on the bottom of the index finger (almost raise your finger off the top string) since the top two strings are covered by the index and ring fingers. This ensures the fleshy part of the lower section of the index finger makes good contact with the top two strings. Granted, the ultimate goal is for even pressure across all four string ;)

Ahh the dreaded Bb. The bane of everyone's existence!
The smart-aleck response is to Transpose it up to "C"!!!
Like anything though, it's whatever works for you. I like doing just the first two strings myself.
Also it helps if the action is low on your uke. And that's another reason to buy a properly set-up one.

I have little trouble with the Bb chord. The damn Fm is harder.

As with the dreaded E chord, the 1 and 4 string are sounding exactly the same note, so these are candidates for playing the three string versions, especially if you won't be sitting on them for too long. With the Bb you might find it much easier to play 321x, muting the 1 string with the flesh of your first finger, rather than x211 which still requires a partial bar. With the E you might find it easier to play x442, muting the 4 string with your thumb, rather than 444x which requires you to either squish all your fingers together on the 4 or do a very tricky partial bar muting the 1 string with the flesh of your barring finger. Rock guitars do the latter all the time.

Bottom line - consider 321x for the Bb and x442 for the E.

Last edited:
For the 3211 shape of the B flat major fingering, I find it easier to barre the entire first fret with my index finger, but all the references say I should only barre the bottom two strings with my finger tip. What's the downside of doing it my way?

I've been doing it your way for years, and haven't found a downside! I tend to full-barre things that others often just half-barre, and sometimes use 4 fingers separately instead of barre-ing at all, and while sometimes this looks weird and gets attention, it doesn't seem to affect the sound in any negative way.

Great to see this thread pop up, I am just starting a song with Bb and am struggling with the transition to it (from Eb). The rest is working ok so any hints there would be great :)!

It depends on the song, sometimes I barre the whole first fret, sometimes just the first two. The latter is usually when I'm playing F or some other chord right after where I need to plant my index fingertip on a nearby string.

This transition is Bb - F - Gm - Eb and then back to Bb again.

I'm doing the same thing to escape the weird 3211 shape as well.

Ironically, after I learned to do the B flat using the barre thing, my fingers are a little bit more trained and now I can do the actual 3211 shape. No downs for me!

You could try twisting your left hand a little sideways and barre the first two strings more with the side of your index finger.
Partial barre will make the transition to F a lot easier (unless you go for another full barre F 5558).

I half bar Bb. I've tried both and the half bar is simply more comfortable for me. I will angle the headstock up a little to make for a better hand position.

I understand the arguments about the full bar and transitions but it just doesn't feel as comfortable for my hand.

After 11 months the Bb is just starting to work for me. The same shape playing a C, for example, has not been a problem, oddly. I usually barre the CEA strings, but after watching Mr Doleman's video above I think a trial is in order.

I'd learn to do both, and then you can use the form which makes the chord changes easiest. For example, F Bb F requires little finger movement if you only barre the E and A strings. Bb C is easier with a full barre (barreing the C as well).

just getting comfy with this chord.. now i need to practice moving to other chord from it. didn't notice this chord until yesterday when i found out i like strumming with no purpose..

I had a a hard time with Bb until I started practicing Howling Hobbits chord progressions. I'd pick a random strum pattern and go through the chord progressions. It helped my learn new chords and the shifts between them. I kind of avoided the E's and Bb's for a while until I got a baritone and then found that the form for F is that same as Bb on a C6 tuned uke. Since most of the songs I know are C-F-G7 if I wanted to play in key, I needed to reach for an F. I still play some songs as G-C-D7 on my baritone but am gradually playing in C-F-G7 again. After four months on the G tuned uke, I can switch fairly well between instruments and tunings and still play in Key.

I still have some problems with E but Bb and B are easy now, or F & F# on the bari.

Top Bottom