tenor fret board scale measurements.

robinashby

Reaction score
hiyas considering the fret board now.... tenor size measurements taken from the hana lima book and plan.

I just typed in on cad the measurements shown on the plan very accurately printed it on paper and put it against the hana plan... the lines dont match to the measurements drawn.

i had to convert to mm in cad....

the hana lima says :

from top/nut going downwards as follows: in inches.

the measurements then stop there and are only then drawn in.

i reckon its then approx

Is anyone out there willing to advise if measurements are correct and actual drawing on plan is out?

I knows theres a formula for this but my maths is worse than my spelling.

thanks,

r

The best reference for such calculations is Steward McDonald, https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

Make all your measurements from the nut or zero fret, not from the next fret or you will introduce too much error.

Either 17" which converts to 431.8mm metric or 432mm metric is common. Work in whatever you are comfortable with.

Anthony

Last edited:
The fretfind2d website produces a printable template you can glue to you fretboard and cut.
http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/
The trap is in printing out because the pdf viewer prints fit to page rather than true scale. Cross check by measuring to the 12th fret and doubling. It is also only as accurate as your printer and paper stretches and shrinks.

I have Wfret download link available on my website. You can find it (as well as other fret calculation programs and actual pdf full size fret layout guides on the construction tips page of the banjo building section. There are other uke construction tips for tenor and fret layouts for concert uke on my uke page"

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageUke1.html

Some of the layouts are downloadable as pdfs and they print accurately. Many folks don't realize that you need to change the default parameters within the pdf print dialog box. This is usually a box to un-check that says "Fit to page" or "Scale to fit page". PDF files print very accurately if you know how to do it.

Last edited:
on the stewmac site it states the length should be 436.911mm.... getting bit confused as all seem different

the hana lima seems to be then 431.8mm so will go with that though when I do on cad and print it out its slightly off from the plan drawn on hana lima.... it strikes me that a man with two watches never knows the time!
431.8mm lengh tenor.JPG

so I ll go with this table here then I can be real accurate inputting this into cad programme ? i can do this as a pdf should anyone be interested.... guess would need to email it directly though... dont seem to be able to a pdf on here.

Can anyone here check this to see if theres a any concerns as to if its wrong? i am dyslexic so doubt myself hugely with this stuff and dont want to make a uke thats wrongly made!

thanks,

r

if there seems anything

just checked against the ekips.org website now

when side by side the dxf file from the ekips site when imported seems to match my cad pretty good. So can only assume somethings going on with the hana lima plan drawing as if differs my about one mm maybe they added compensation or something?

maybe I am sorted then now.... ?

You slot the frets accurately as per the plan. You place the saddle a little further away than theory, this is the compensation. Nominally you place the nut spot on as per plan but it is possible to compensate the nut position as well but this is another kettle of fish.

If the plan is lining up with 431.8mm then its really 17 inch. If your happy with inches then use inches. If you like mm then just adjust it to 432mm. Again, slot the frets accurately for 432mm and compensate the saddle position.

Anthony

Top Bottom