NUM(onth) because NUD isn't enough

Trader Todd

Reaction score
I'm very disappointed with the members of this forum. A bunch of underachievers here. Why limit yourself to NUD, when you can have a New Uke Month? I'm not sure what came over me in April, but I went on a bit of a bender. I couldn't help myself, I guess as I was approaching my 100th post and Senior Member status, I felt I needed a collection worthy of a Senior Member. So I sold a nice Gibson Custom Shop guitar that had been gathering dust. Sell one guitar, buy four ukes. How could I go wrong?

First up was a Firefly Banjo uke. This one has the plastic fretboard and is soprano sized. I love it. I've always been a fan of bluegrass, Old Time, Ragtime, vintage Swing and Dixieland. This was a nice affordable way to bring some banjo tones into the house. I'm worried that it is a bit of a gateway drug, because I really want to buy a banjo now.

image.jpg

Next up is a 50's Silvertone Baritone. As a guitar player I've always been curious about Bari ukes and this seemed like an affordable way to get in the door. Love the tone and old wood. Action is a bit high. It's fun to play and I love the voice it has when being played together with other ukes.

image.jpg

I've been itching for a vintage Martin soprano and I came across this Style 0 from the 60's. Love it. Fun to play, LOUD and such a traditional sounding uke tone. Someday I hope to own a nice 20's-40's era, until then this will get plenty of play time.

image.jpg

The last acquisition was a Kanile'a K-1 tenor, strung low G. I've been curious about low g for awhile, but never found the time to put one on my Pono. Besides, there wasn't any Koa in the collection. This uke is currently the teachers pet. It has such a woody, earthy tone and vibrates like a tuning fork when played. Love the shape and feel of the neck. I really love reentrant tuning, so it has taken some time getting use to low G. This ones a keeper, doubt I'll ever sell it.

image.jpg

All ukes were purchased from the UU Marketplace. Smooth, easy transactions.

At this stage I am really happy with my current line up. I am basically at the if-one-comes-in-one-goes-out stage. UAS has gone into remission (hmm, I wonder what I could get if I sold the Gretsch 6120?). I'm still happily married (it helps if your wife plays and a guitar sale finances UAS).

Excuse me if I don't post for awhile, I'll be busy playing.

image.jpg

I'll live vicariously through you, and take care of my UAS that way.

It sounds like you now have a varied and interesting collection! Enjoy!

Thank you for raising the bar! ;-) Love the variety in what you added. Have fun getting to know each and every one!!

Todd you have reached "Senior Status" admirably.................no flies on you buddy. Well there is that Firefly thing but thats a uke so it's all good. I have gone on a few benders myself and it is fun to feel gluttonous on ukuleles. Enjoy each and everyone, congratulations on making me feel less obsessed:p

An impressive haul Todd. Great post

WTG. My record haul is 3 ukes in one week. I confess, I was bingeing.
A friend of mine gets about 4 or 5 ukes a year. She gets rid of about that many too. Now, she has a Kanilea that was a gift, so she can't get rid of it, I laughed at her.
Then I realized I was kinda jealous....I'm not laughing anymore.

Top Bottom