1974 Style A Martin Mandolin

raduray

Reaction score
I know it's not a uke, but figured it's worth a try.

I bought this new when I was in college, but haven't played it in awhile and am now toying with a uke. Mandolin is in very good (excellent?) condition and comes with a hard case and new strings. Serial Number is A-25717. Per Martin, it has a Mahogany Neck, back and sides, Spruce Top, Ebony Fretboard and Bridge.

For now, I'd like to see if I can sell it within driving distance of Worcester, MA so I don't have to deal with shipping.

Price is $675

Martin Mandolin-1.jpgMartin Mandolin-2.jpgMartin Mandolin-3.jpgMartin Mandolin-4.jpgMartin Mandolin-6.jpg

Before you sell it, would you consider getting a set of four strings and listen to it tuned as GCEA or gCEA. I have several mandoleles with different string tones. My Martin Backpacker mandolin is tuned Gg--Cc Ee aA. It casts a wonderful full rich sound. I have flatirons, A models and a bowl back tuned as ukulele, and strung with uke strings. Please try it before you hear someone else playing a Muke ( no..I did NOT say a mutt) and you kick yourself for having sold yours
Try it with a C chord played as 3433 F as2313 and G7 as 4535... and walk that down to F please..

Just took it out and played with it a bit. The neck is narrow and the fret spacing is tighter than my concert uke, which I consider too tight. I just like the roominess of my tenor. Gonna sell it and get myself a nice koa tenor. On the lookout for a used Koaloha or Collings.

Might be worth sticking it on the Mandolin Cafe forum, probably have a lot more interest over there.

Top Bottom