Wondering why C and E strings thicker than the others?

hikaru

Reaction score
Hi all, I started playing the uke several months ago, and have totally fallen in love with it!

One thing I notice when playing is that the C and E strings are thicker than the G and A strings, or at least in my Aquila ones anyway. This makes it really hard to press down beyond 7th fret when I try to play some scales or notes there.

Just wondering if this happens with all the strings, and is there any easy way to play notes clearly on >10th frets.

Thanks!

The C and E strings are thicker than the A and G so that they will have a lower pitch with approximately the same tension. Pitch is a function of linear density and tension.

As the frets get closer together it becomes more difficult to place a finger between them and get a good tone. Try making very small changes in the position of your finger to find the sweet spot.

The 'action' may be too high on your uke, it should be about 3~5mm at the 12th fret.
(i.e. distance between top of fret & bottom of string.)

This would make it harder to press the string down the further up the fretboard you go.

When I go up to & above the 10th fret, I tend to put my finger tip more across the string rather than along its length.

:cool:

As the frets get closer together it becomes more difficult to place a finger between them and get a good tone.
Sorry for nitpicking, but actually there is no need to always place the finger between the frets - the only thing that matters is the string must be able to vibrate freely between the "last" fret and the bridge. What happens between nut and that last fret should not affect the sound in any way...
(you could easily play a C chord with three fingers on the A string: index in 1st fret, middle in 2nd fret and ring finger in 3rd fret)

I don't know what size uke you have, but , for me, it is much easier to play up the neck with a longer scale like a tenor or baritone as there is more space between the frets.

Wow, thanks for the answers everyone! Now I somehow understand the strings and the vibrations better! (and found out there is still tons of things to learn...)

I have a entry-level soprano, but I will definitely consider all the above when I decide to upgrade. Guess right now the best solution is just to keep practicing and develop enough calluses on the finger tips.

Fluorocarbon strings are the easiest fix for you (cheaper than buying a new uke). :) You'll find that they are noticeably thinner and easier on the fingers, though it's a matter of preference. Easy to find choices are clears or browns by Worth and the Martin M600. I really like the Living Water ones, but those can only be imported from England, I believe (I bought a soprano that came with LD strings and I was pleasantly surprised by their sound and feel, which cured me of my previous belief that fluorocarbon strings are pretty much always the same -- no, they are not.)

I actually like Aquilas on one of my ukes, but the same instrument also gave me trouble when I had started out and my finger tips weren't a little tougher. I don't feel that calluses should be the goal, by the way. Taunter skin, yes, but if you get actual calluses, you may be pressing down too hard. (Though I believe this also depends on someone's skin.) These are nylon strings, not steel ones. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom